Phosphate removers

mcgaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, just wondering if anyone can help me. I run the triton system and I was just wondering what people opinions are on the type phosphate removers they use. I currentley run rowaphos but it doesn't seem to work to well in my fluidised reactor. More particles come out of the reactor than stay in even on a slow trickle. I'm asking this question as I am starting to get quite thick Algae on rocks at the moment. I have been away on vacation for the last 10 and now this has happened. It doesn't look like gha. I also run a fudge by the way. Hopefully someone can give me some advice. Thanks in advance. [emoji1]

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple of products out there with lanthanum chloride in the mix, I used one of these products to get my phosphates down then started running GFO again. I took a couple of dose to drop my phosphate down to where I wanted them;) and it work pretty fast.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the fudge doing for you!
What skimmer do you run

OP
OP
mcgaws

mcgaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures of algae as requested
IMG_5369.JPG
IMG_5370.JPG

skim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like Bryopsis, so running GFO may not work. I have had it and still have a bit. I have herd that a large increase in Mag. sometimes works, 1600 to 1800. Is it all over or is just on that one pc. of rock, you may want to just pull that pc.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this here also link

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heard it had to be Kent mag as it may not actually be that mag that kills it but something else that's in the Kent solution.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preface by saying the following is what I've heard....don't know the truth.

I agree, looks like Bryopsis to me as well.

Potential treatments:

1. High Magnesium - Supposedly the only magnesium that would work was Tech M. I've heard they changed their formulation, and this no longer works.

2. Vibrant is a new product that claims it will rid your tank of algae. It's gotten some pretty good reviews.....check it out.

3. Dosing Fluconazole - This is actually a fungacide but I've seen recent posts how it was used to get rid of Bryopsis. Do a seach and check this out.

4. Finally, tank maintanence - The bryopsis is there because of the availablility of nutrients. While doing one of the treatments, do whatever you need to do to lower N's and P's.

OP
OP
mcgaws

mcgaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like Bryopsis, so running GFO may not work. I have had it and still have a bit. I have herd that a large increase in Mag. sometimes works, 1600 to 1800. Is it all over or is just on that one pc. of rock, you may want to just pull that pc.

It's all over

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back