Phosphate supplement congealed in end of dosing tube

ceaver

Stability is all!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this very strange occurrence at the end of my phosphate dosing tube, which is held in place along with 3 other tubes by a standard holder. I'm dosing Seachem Flourish Phosphorus. There was a stringy, snotty looking thing hanging out the end of the tube down to the water surface. I tried to pull it out with a piece of paper towel to no avail. So I grabbed a shot glass and turned on that dosing pump and out came this:
BAE45120-6016-4A20-B70C-9F6C35AC2552.jpeg

A1BC0E62-D7BE-4AF2-BE5C-66C4170B3586.jpeg

Any ideas what may have happened here? If the water level of the sump (which is the back section of an all-in-one) touched the bottom of the dosing tube could it cause the P supplement to do something weird like this?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this very strange occurrence at the end of my phosphate dosing tube, which is held in place along with 3 other tubes by a standard holder. I'm dosing Seachem Flourish Phosphorus. There was a stringy, snotty looking thing hanging out the end of the tube down to the water surface. I tried to pull it out with a piece of paper towel to no avail. So I grabbed a shot glass and turned on that dosing pump and out came this:
BAE45120-6016-4A20-B70C-9F6C35AC2552.jpeg

A1BC0E62-D7BE-4AF2-BE5C-66C4170B3586.jpeg

Any ideas what may have happened here? If the water level of the sump (which is the back section of an all-in-one) touched the bottom of the dosing tube could it cause the P supplement to do something weird like this?

Might be magnesium hydroxide and/or calcium and magnesium phosphate, all of which can form from high pH phosphate additives and seawater.

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back