!!!!PHOSPHATE THAT IS EVIL:FEAR THAT IS REAL!!!?

JMLewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Working on finishing up a write up on this very topic long overdue. I believe that the quality and purity of RO/DI is one of the most, if not the most overlooked essential elements to long term success. People chase numbers till there's no tomorrow scratching their heads when somethings not quite right, and throw every thing at the wall they can think of trying to solve it with little regard to the actual quality of the water they are using. Which I should add is often the heart of cause of their issues.
Definitely looking forward to that write up, I mainly think I'm fine as long as the water reads 0 TDS but I do feel like I'm always plagued by some mystery problem and always wonder if it has something to do with my water source.

Great write up on this too, I'm currently battling (no pun intended) too low of nutrients and having to dose po4 and no3...have more fish in the QT as we speak to hopefully help with more of a long term fix.

CarolinaReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
I do feel like I'm always plagued by some mystery problem
I know what you mean. I started my SPS journey about a year ago. I have been doing this for quite a while but I just can't seem to get my conditions right for my SPS to do well. My tank is mature, 10 years running, and earlier this year I removed all of the sand and replaced it. I have had a few conversations with Adam even about nutrients and such. I have never been able to detect any NO3 or PO4 in my tank. I am presuming that was due to something using it like Cyano. I have ZERO algae in my tank. My rocks are clean, actually I have been told that they were too clean. Recently I switched salt and have been using aquaforest products (oh and added a couple more fish). Suddenly my cyano is receding and I am getting NO3 readings around 5 ppm and PO4 0.00 -.04. I have a very stable tank and it is fully automated except for water changes. All I can say, is there must be a bunch of rocket scientists on here. I see all of the beautiful SPS tanks and apparently it is rocket science. :)

alanjeffery

View Badges
Reaction score
Speaking from a UK perspective i think the rise of Korallen zucht played a big part in instilling the notion that Ultra low phosphates were to aim for.
Brilliant marketing strategy to sell expensive little blue bottles

OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Speaking from a UK perspective i think the rise of Korallen zucht played a big part in instilling the notion that Ultra low phosphates were to aim for.
Brilliant marketing strategy to sell expensive little blue bottles
I'm with you. Same thing goes for Rowa and the like. Convince people they have a problem them sell them the solution. Been saying this for years actually :)

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm with you. Same thing goes for Rowa and the like. Convince people they have a problem them sell them the solution. Been saying this for years actually :)
I was definitely guilty of this in the beginning. Spent lots of money on magic potions and only created more problems. I have guys ask me how much gfo they should use. My first question is what's there po4 level. More often than not the answer is zero or they don't know level. When I ask why they feel they need to use it they say it's because someone else is using it or they have an extra reactor they want to use.

Any special reefing plans for this week?

• Yes

Votes: 41 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 43 45.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 11 11.6%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Underwater Creations, Inc.