Phosphates spike after water change ??????

OP
OP
J

Jfarooqpak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP is not giving us much info, so these are my guesses without knowing all the facts.
Rock absorbing PO4 then leeching is something that can happen.
If its not comming from any new water or substance entering the tank then its in the tank already.
I dont have Pukani. I added some Staxx. I greatly appreciate your help.

eea60123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I need:
1) Longitude and Latitude so I can get your elevation weather and such
2) a copy of your certification from the testing company
3) a picture of your marine biology diploma
4) NO3,NO4, CA, DKh, MG, ICP test from 2 labs
5) specific gravity in ppm don’t give me that rookie 1.025

just messing. My guess is it’s in the salt. They all claim no phosphates but if that’s the only change and the water is good then that’s your most likely culprit. You said you were stable before the water change so it shouldn’t be something in the tank. Test the mixed water to see what you get and that may be your answer. Depending on your dry rock it could leech phosphates but that should make them remain high before the water change and lower it some(depending on water change amount) after the water change until it can re-enter the water column. Also mix your bucket to make sure you have an even mixture with no stratification. Good luck and don’t freak out. Slow and steady changes.

OP
OP
J

Jfarooqpak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I need:
1) Longitude and Latitude so I can get your elevation weather and such
2) a copy of your certification from the testing company
3) a picture of your marine biology diploma
4) NO3,NO4, CA, DKh, MG, ICP test from 2 labs
5) specific gravity in ppm don’t give me that rookie 1.025

just messing. My guess is it’s in the salt. They all claim no phosphates but if that’s the only change and the water is good then that’s your most likely culprit. You said you were stable before the water change so it shouldn’t be something in the tank. Test the mixed water to see what you get and that may be your answer. Depending on your dry rock it could leech phosphates but that should make them remain high before the water change and lower it some(depending on water change amount) after the water change until it can re-enter the water column. Also mix your bucket to make sure you have an even mixture with no stratification. Good luck and don’t freak out. Slow and steady changes.
I bought saltwater and tested it earlier at someone else’s suggestion. The water levels came out good.

Sparky88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are someone screwed up and neglected a system that the rock came from. the rocks will leach until the concentration of p04 is equal in rocks and water. The water change changes this ballance and rocks start to leach again. Cost me 200 in gfo to get all of it out of my rocks. Lanthinum chloride is soooo much cheaper tho so now I use that every now and then instead of gfo. $30 worth of lanthinum chloride will remove as much p04 as 2k in gfo

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back