Photo Tomfoolery to sell coral frags... your thoughts:

HotManwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a "box" from a vendor on here. His corals are so freaking amazing it almost made me cry! Polyps out in the bags. Colors awesome. Very generous sized frags. Even as I was gluing them the polyps started to come out while I was holding them! Basically indestructible!

Now that I've seen this is possible I demand to have them in that quality Every time. No excuses! I'm sick and tired of paying high prices for low quality coral...no matter who's name is on it.
I had a vendor off ebay do the same. Great prices, accurate colors, and opening in the bags. They're a sponsor of this site I believe and I'd definitely buy again.

TheGulag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a vendor off ebay do the same. Great prices, accurate colors, and opening in the bags. They're a sponsor of this site I believe and I'd definitely buy again.

I just bought a "box" from a vendor on here. His corals are so freaking amazing it almost made me cry! Polyps out in the bags. Colors awesome. Very generous sized frags. Even as I was gluing them the polyps started to come out while I was holding them! Basically indestructible!

Now that I've seen this is possible I demand to have them in that quality Every time. No excuses! I'm sick and tired of paying high prices for low quality coral...no matter who's name is on it.

So can you share with the rest of the class so we all may benefit from this..

HotManwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So can you share with the rest of the class so we all may benefit from this..
The one for me was budmanns corals. I bought a bunch of zoas and mushrooms and some were brighter in real life than the photos. I think they just use orange and yellow filters without photoshop since some of the photos looked the same as when I use orange and yellow filters on my phone.
I have a green mushroom from them that looks like it's under blues even when they're off. Its INSANELY bright.

I'll post photos of the corals when I get the chance

phil bevilacqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you know..... Photoshopped and green slimers for 100 bucks.... got to pay for your new big shops somehow! Lol. It’s all a joke, but the joke is that people keep buying .. lol

TheGulag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one for me was budmanns corals. I bought a bunch of zoas and mushrooms and some were brighter in real life than the photos. I think they just use orange and yellow filters without photoshop since some of the photos looked the same as when I use orange and yellow filters on my phone.
I have a green mushroom from them that looks like it's under blues even when they're off. Its INSANELY bright.

I'll post photos of the corals when I get the chance
Battlecorals. Adam is great. Very attentive and the best shipped coral I've ever seen.

Thanks both of you guys for sharing I will definitely add them to my list for buying from!!

Ridgeway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surely a simple solution is that all corals are photographed on a white tile as the background. It takes a lot more time to adjust pictures when you have to play with certain areas and not others of the image. If the tile isn't white then the pic has been altered. I've seen lots of purple egg crate in online frag vendors systems yet never found it any where else in the World...

DzidtheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned my hard lesson from a popular vendor that im not going to mention. I paid 500bux for a baby frank bounce and when i received it, it looked nothing like the picture. The outer bubbles were pink, but not as vibrant as it seemed and it was sooo much smaller than the pictures showed.

Now i only dump money on highend pieces when i can only see them with my own 2 eyes.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened with rock nems recently. I won’t go into the seller but it was a sponsor here that has unbelievably edited pics of them. Like.....super easy to tell. I have always been of the mind that if you’re doctoring pics, there’s only a handful of reasons why and most are of the bad variety. I’m not even talking about a camera filter either because I do that to wash out some of the blues in my forum pics-this was software editing.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battlecorals. Adam is great. Very attentive and the best shipped coral I've ever seen.
That’s one of the 3 I would buy from again in my previous post. Glad you experienced the same thing I did from him. I dont mind paying the $$$ as long as I receive what was represented.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you know..... Photoshopped and green slimers for 100 bucks.... got to pay for your new big shops somehow! Lol. It’s all a joke, but the joke is that people keep buying .. lol
For me it only took once getting hosed but others take a little longer but at some point they will figure it out and if they don’t then the process continues but atleast myself and others have figured it out.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think when you get into the photography side of this hobby You start understanding and seeing what tricks people are doing to represent their pictures.

I am not the best on light room but I can tell what sliders were pushed to the limits of certain photos

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But here's the major conundrum.....

LFSs are limited to their "stock list' they get from the 1-2 wholesalers they have relationships with. Many corals they get in are B-grade corals.

It's my understanding that when wholesale corals coming into California Wholesalers that the corals are graded A, B, C. Many LFSs dont have the relationships with their own wholesaler to get A-Graded corals >OR< the LFS doesnt want to invest in an A- Grade coral bc fears of it dying or not selling (bc A-Grade corals are super expensive even at the wholesale level)

Super mega online retailers (say WWC for example) can and do get their hands on A & B graded corals. You really pay for those A-graded corals reflected in the final sake price.

LFSs on the other hand being in mostly plain-Jane B-graded corals..... and even though there is NO SHAME having your tank filled with beautiful B-graded cirals... buy thru LFS versus Online, you are alienated from seeing A-graded corals.

This is very interesting thanks for sharing. May I ask what or who and how these grades are determined? What makes a Coral a B vs an A?

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only place I’ve visited who was/is a sponger was cherry corals. Their corals are always spot on with their website. As was top shelf aquatics. I haven’t really ever come across much edited except the crazy sale adds on Facebook or on here.

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol the corals are too bright. Help me my eyes hurt lol. Too funny. Here are some pics from my tank I run at full blue most of the day except for a 6 hr period with 10 percent whites. Maybe I did start my obsession because of how incredible a high end, well tweaked tank looks in blues. A more thorough appreciation for the animal came later. Still would rather not see a tank full a brown buggers. Sure, many trashy vendors crank their saturation and over edit their pics but that's why we need to be careful consumers and stick with reputable and transparent vendors. It could also be that it may be challenging to get optimal colors out of our corals. I know I've had a really tough time with some. But at least i know what colors to shoot for on account of those letter prefixes and funky names. Lol. Complaining about stuff sure is fun huh? Protect your eyes when viewing these pictures, they maybe so bright they cause headaches and seizures.
20191204_201525.jpg
20191204_201746.jpg

20191204_201316.jpg
20191204_201511.jpg
20191204_201334.jpg
Wow that Goniopora looks sick! Love the long tentacles with the blue tips! Nice photos. (Just now coming to from my seizure ;)

HotManwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some of the corals I bought from Budmanns,.
Some of the ones that were provided on ebay were these ones: (and this is not all the photos, just random ones I chose to post from them)
Budmanns photos:
wz1PcKi.png

puDuhrn.png

And these are them in my tank with just a yellow and orange filter under blue lights (no saturation changes or color adjustments. the raw photo:
k4zQ57V.jpg

29ibNky.jpg

UMkJPrA.jpg

XhZVtvf.jpg

All of the photos I took were about 20 minutes after putting them in the tank. And all were open. It was great to see them that happy so quickly.
As you can see , they were pretty close. The fruit loops I think is much brighter than the photo online led on. Same with the blow pops (blue face, orange mouth with green skirt.) Either way both are super pretty, and the fact that the average price I paid for all the frags I got was $15-20 each I would say I'm pretty dang happy!

Also the super bright mushroom:
Under whites ONLY:
lr2TPML.jpg

Under blues:
bh41nhx.jpg

The photo can't even do it justice. The thing is like a highlighter had a love child with a piece of mold.
The thing hit 3" wide then split, now I have three of them. Definitely my favorite mushroom in the tank by far!

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you shoot a color correction plate it should almost always come out right.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think when you get into the photography side of this hobby You start understanding and seeing what tricks people are doing to represent their pictures.

I am not the best on light room but I can tell what sliders were pushed to the limits of certain photos
Is this edited? ;Woot The background looks legit. These guys are getting crafty.
F61CF4C2-2F5B-4E5D-A69F-CC0DE908D743.png

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surely a simple solution is that all corals are photographed on a white tile as the background. It takes a lot more time to adjust pictures when you have to play with certain areas and not others of the image. If the tile isn't white then the pic has been altered. I've seen lots of purple egg crate in online frag vendors systems yet never found it any where else in the World...
Eggcrate gets purple from coralline. All my racks are purple.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back