Photos/videos Philippine coral reef

bram33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

A couple of years ago I've been to the Philippines for almost half a year to do my final thesis. A study about the human inmpacts on the remote Coral reefs of Sogod Bay, Southern Leyte, The Philippines. For this purpose I joined an NGO that surveys the reefs with volunteers to gather data for the local municipalities. With this data they advised on where best to create Marine Protected Areas. For these surveys we've been diving at least 2 times a day to count fish, corals, and invertabrates on of the most untouched reefs. And in are free time we basicly snorkeled for hours.

After spending this many hours on the reefs. You start to find out that there are a lot of differences between the aquarium and a natural reef. I soon started to notice why certain corals need a lot, and I mean a lot of light. And for instance would you keep a reeftank at 29 degrees celcius ? or more.. I have seen anemones and euphyllias hit with currents that we simply can't imagine, without having there flesh torn off.

I have said enough. This thread will be picture heavy.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

OP
OP
bram33

bram33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surface view:
SAM_3844.JPG

IMG_3557.JPG

Acropora, depth 1,5-2,0 meters, temp almost constant 30 degrees celcius.
G0052229.JPG

Anemone, depth 1,5-2,0 meters,
GOPR0248.JPG

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are those spikey things to the lower left of the second to last anemone pic?

My best guess is Caulerpa Serrulata.

Interesting. Never heard of that time before. Time for googling!

Turbinaria ornata, a type of brown macroalgae (we call em phaeophytes). Not the turbinaria that includes pagoda corals. These are common in a lot of central pacific and even Indo-Pacific reefs and can be as abundant as corals

OP
OP
bram33

bram33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Never really paid attention to these but they are pretty neat.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Never really paid attention to these but they are pretty neat.

No problem! Love the pics btw. I ID marine life ranging from macroalgae to pelagic cnidarians and everything else that lives in the ocean as a hobby on iNaturalist. If you want you can make an account and upload your pics there. I know that several of our research grade observations get harvested by organizations like OBIS and GBIF for scientific research.

OP
OP
bram33

bram33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! Love the pics btw. I ID marine life ranging from macroalgae to pelagic cnidarians and everything else that lives in the ocean as a hobby on iNaturalist. If you want you can make an account and upload your pics there. I know that several of our research grade observations get harvested by organizations like OBIS and GBIF for scientific research.

Thanks I have many more photos and videos so I definitely will keep posting these.

I will have a look at iNaturalist. Thanks for the reccomendation.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I have many more photos and videos so I definitely will keep posting these.

I will have a look at iNaturalist. Thanks for the reccomendation.

Yeah if you do make an account lmk, I'd love to help you get started and show you all the cool features that most people don't know about

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back