Photoshop help

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone here use PS cs2? I'm having some problems with raw images. I can't seem to open them. When I click on the photo it says "could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document". Any help would be great. Thanks

-Jesse

Zoanuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photoshop

We need a step by step tutorial of loading images into photoshop and the proper sizing we need to post. Pics included!!! Asking alot but I am computer and photo challanged....

Dustin

kurbs

Zoa & Paly Luva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photoshop can't be taught in a thread unfortunatly - besides - people get tooooo carried away with it when they start using it. I do freelance graphic design, so I have spent a large amount of time WORKING with it. I'd be happy to give some pointers to anyone who is interested in using it PROPERLY - recovering the true color of the coral. I can tell a mile away when reefers use it to spice things up for the WOW-factor. I'm not talking about adding a border or a signature - I mean enhancing the color of the actual coral. If it weren't for fear of being banished from the forums I love, I'd publically flame them all for being FRAUDS. I don't care what kind of camera or lighting you have - some of the colors are down right bogus.

Here a few tips.

1. 400 - 500 pixels for size
2. For viewing - 150dpi is more than enough - your monitor can't read any higher
3. For print - no less than 600dpi
4. Go to "Image" - "Adjustments" and use ONLY auto adjust LEVELS and/or COLOR. These two features should recover most of the lost color because of the blue created when the light enters the lense. I only use them if it looks like it does in the tank. I have an advantage because the computer is 6 feet away so I reference it with each shot.
5. Go to "Filter" select "Sharpen" ONCE - more than once makes it look fake, creates a white edge to emulate details that don't exist

Some camera tips (I use a cheap cyber shot)

1. Turn off all your pumps
2. For crying out loud - turn the flash off - why use it, theres a LIGHT OVER THE TANK. Flash pics look unnatural
3. I take about 10pics of each coral. The more you have to chose from the better off you are.
4. Use the zoom as little as possible. The more you zoom, the more detail is lost.

Hope this helps - its a MAJOR crash course in what could take a day or so to teach.

Sorry for getting worked up about the "hacks" - it s a major pet peeve to me when I watch them pull the wool over your eyes.

Nick

OP
OP
JGoslee

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Kurbs do you know how to get raw images in to ps? When I take pics in raw mode I cant get them to show up on ps. Photoshop cs2 has a raw converter so I know it can be done.

kurbs

Zoa & Paly Luva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm - i can neither confirm or deny that - my camera doesn't have that option. I've always shot and printed my Jpegs and have been pretty happy. keep me posted as I run CS2 as well.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
RAW is the way to go if you do alot of photography. With RAW you have the option to open the pic and then adjust it completley to your liking. It uses lots of space though as the camera will take the pic under every setting basically. It's like you would never miss a shot due to wrong color balance etc...

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
raw is simply the unprocessed data straight from the cmos sensor chip;

i haven't been able to get pscs2 to open raw either, i am using an olympus camera, and to get them transfered i have to go through an extra step to convert them to jpeg, quite a pain and for now i have decided it is not worth it.

i have gotten pretty good at adjusting white balance prior to taking the pic, so i dont' know that raw holds that much benefit for me right now.

kurbs

Zoa & Paly Luva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RAW is the way to go if you do alot of photography. With RAW you have the option to open the pic and then adjust it completley to your liking. It uses lots of space though as the camera will take the pic under every setting basically. It's like you would never miss a shot due to wrong color balance etc...

I've seen your pics, and they are awesome. So if you say RAW is the way to go - I'm going to study up on it - thanks!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've seen your pics, and they are awesome. So if you say RAW is the way to go - I'm going to study up on it - thanks!

Thanks alot! I have to say though most of my photography to this point is not taken in RAW. I am really just getting into that so I dont have much to add about it. All the pics I posted today were not taken in RAW format.

I know the pros use RAW! LOL! :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rev are you using ps to process your raw images?

No. What RAW processing I have done was done using a cheap little program that came with my camera.

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Fuji camera takes RAW images, and came with a special program to open them up...I haven't played around with it yet though. I would bet the farm that PS would be able to do RAW images somehow.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know PS CS does not.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have been told it does open raw, what type of camera are you using rev?
Opening camera raw image files

I stand corrected. I just pulled this up from the PS program help

The Photoshop Camera Raw plug-in lets you open a camera's raw image file directly in Photoshop or ImageReady without using another program to convert the camera raw image into a readable format. As a result, all your work with camera raw image files can be completely done in Photoshop.

To open a camera raw image file for editing in Photoshop and ImageReady:

1. Open a camera raw image file by choosing File > Open or using the File Browser (see Using the File Browser (Photoshop)) in Photoshop. The Camera Raw dialog box automatically opens, displaying a preview of the image.
2. Adjust the settings such as the image attributes (target color space profile, bit depth, pixel size, and resolution), the white balance, exposure and tonal settings, sharpness, smoothness, and color noise reduction.

Tip iconTo restore all your adjustments to the original settings, hold down the Alt (Windows®) or Option (Mac OS) key. The Cancel button will change to a Reset button. While holding the key down, click the Reset button.
3. When you've finished your adjustments, click OK. A copy of the camera raw image file with the Photoshop Camera Raw plug-in settings applied opens in Photoshop. You can then edit the image and save it in a Photoshop-supported format.

The original camera raw image file remains unaltered. The settings applied to the camera raw image are stored either in the Camera Raw database file or as a sidecar XMP file. For more information on storing Photoshop Camera Raw plug-in settings, see About Photoshop Camera Raw plug-in settings.

Note: Although Photoshop and ImageReady can open a camera raw image file, they cannot save an image as a camera raw image file. A Photoshop Raw format is available in Photoshop, but it is not the same format as a camera raw image file. A camera's raw image file contains the unprocessed bits from the camera's CCD or CMOS. This data needs significant processing, such as the processing done by the Photoshop Camera Raw plug-in. The Photoshop Raw format (.raw) is a flexible file format for transferring images between applications and computer platforms.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh Twon I am using the Rebel Xt.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am upgrading to CS2 tomorrow. :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back