Photosynthetically active radiation and humans

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I don’t know where else to ask this question so I am going to ask it it here.

I have learned about how PAR affects corals in a reef tank, so I started reading about lighting in rooms and sun light and the affects it can have for humans.

I have read that over illumination can have some not good health effects

And I have read about being in the sun too long can cause problems with human skin.

I was wondering this because I want to know what good lighting in a room for a human would be like.

If I use my PAR meter to measure the light in a room what should the par be? What should it be for humans? Can someone answer this question for me, with links to information maybe?

What happens if there is not enough light in a room?

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id take a minute and throw back a cold one and sleep on it. Which planet are you from wanting to know what lighting is good for humans? I come from Earth myself and spend 40 a week outside with that big orb shining down on me. Perhaps this question is better aimed at someone with a PHD and not the R2R community.

Entomophage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I'll bite.

If you're concerned about excessive radiation from your aquarium lights, even though that sounds silly, there's at least some basis for concern. Metal halide lights can cause sunburn and eye damage if you aren't shielded from them properly. I don't know about LEDs, but I've wondered if the blue light bath is healthy after dark as does Harvard Medical School.

I was wondering this because I want to know what good lighting in a room for a human would be like.

Oh, here someone made a video:

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id take a minute and throw back a cold one and sleep on it. Which planet are you from wanting to know what lighting is good for humans? I come from Earth myself and spend 40 a week outside with that big orb shining down on me. Perhaps this question is better aimed at someone with a PHD and not the R2R community.

Well I have learned about PAR here on reef to reef about corals so I was wondering if someone could provide me with information about what good lighting for humans would be like.

That’s why I asked for links to information

I didn’t know if I could ask a person with a PHD how to use my par meter in a room to find out if the light is too bright or dark.

I’m not asking y’all to be a dr.

I was asking for links to information I could read for myself.

I think someone in this world has had this thought before if it’s to bright or not enough brightness in a room and it’s affects on humans.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Sun Bad!
giphy.gif

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe blue/actinic lamps are used in tanning booths and remember reading they are not good for the eyes long term.
Looking directly into a metal halide is not a good idea either.
Spill over from tank light probably not a concern unless you are looking directly at the bulb.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found this. Very interesting. Apparently bright Kessil windex-blue during the day is the best for people, cures depression, Alzheimer’s, all sorts of stuff. No blue at night though.

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only things we really have to worry about are 1. uv light and 2. Blue light and 3. Bright light

Uv light is bad because it's more energetic than longer wavelength light and can damage the DNA in skin cells. Our aquarium lights don't have enough uv light to really cause damage though. Maybe if you're looking directly at a uv led then it can damage your eyes, but I suspect that's mainly due to the brightness, and the effect on the retina, not from damage due to uv burning the cornea. Uv is a great source of vitamin d though, so it's not bad in moderation.

Blue light is not good at night because it inhibits melatonin release from the pineal gland. Inhibiting melatonin at night can cause you to have trouble relaxing and falling asleep.

Any visibly Bright light can damage your retina. So don't stare directly at it.

We need par meters because it's difficult for us to tell how much photosynthetic light there is. We see better in the non photosynthetic spectrum. A par meter for human lighting is counter productive because you'd be measuring light that you can't see and excluding the light that you do. You'd be better off with a lux meter.

With that said, the best light for humans would be mood dependent. No blue light at night, some uv for vitamin d and mood boosting effects during the day, and nothing ever too bright that could damage your eyes to look at accidentally.

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only things we really have to worry about are 1. uv light and 2. Blue light and 3. Bright light

Uv light is bad because it's more energetic than longer wavelength light and can damage the DNA in skin cells. Our aquarium lights don't have enough uv light to really cause damage though. Maybe if you're looking directly at a uv led then it can damage your eyes, but I suspect that's mainly due to the brightness, and the effect on the retina, not from damage due to uv burning the cornea. Uv is a great source of vitamin d though, so it's not bad in moderation.

Blue light is not good at night because it inhibits melatonin release from the pineal gland. Inhibiting melatonin at night can cause you to have trouble relaxing and falling asleep.

We need par meters because it's difficult for us to tell how much photosynthetic light there is. We see better in the non photosynthetic spectrum. A par meter for human lighting is counter productive because you'd be measuring light that you can't see and excluding the light that you do. You'd be better off with a lux meter.

With that said, the best light for humans would be mood dependent. No blue light at night, some uv for vitamin d and mood boosting effects during the day, and nothing ever too bright that could damage your eyes to look at accidentally.
Very well said Phildago

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe blue/actinic lamps are used in tanning booths and remember reading they are not good for the eyes long term.
Looking directly into a metal halide is not a good idea either.
Spill over from tank light probably not a concern unless you are looking directly at the bulb.

A tanning bed lightbulb is a good example if you were in a tanning bed for to long you can get sun burnt and it is probably bad for the skin. Another reason it might be important to know if the light is to bright in a room.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tanning bed lightbulb is a good example if you were in a tanning bed for to long you can get sun burnt and it is probably bad for the skin. Another reason it might be important to know if the light is too bright in a room.
I think it may not be how bright it is but what type/ color it is. That article was very interesting.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found this. Very interesting. Apparently bright Kessil windex-blue during the day is the best for people, cures depression, Alzheimer’s, all sorts of stuff. No blue at night though.
Interesting article!
Led's will have so much potential in the years ahead.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To better explain my question about not enough light.

I read a article about how sunlight is good for humans, but not to much because it can cause skin problems. That’s why we use sunscreen.

What’s good about the sunlight. What does it do for humans?

I read a article about how plants get energy from it and corals.

Is this not true for humans? Is there a good explanation for this question y’all can provide me links to?

Do humans use photosynthesis?

If light is good for humans; how much light would be good if we need it? How bright does it need to be in a room? Links?

If light is good for a human, how much should we have in a day? Links?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To better explain my question about not enough light.

I read a article about how sunlight is good for humans, but not to much because it can cause skin problems. That’s why we use sunscreen.

What’s good about the sunlight. What does it do for humans?

I read a article about how plants get energy from it and corals.

Is this not true for humans? Is there a good explanation for this question y’all can provide me links to?

Do humans use photosynthesis?

If light is good for humans; how much light would be good if we need it? How bright does it need to be in a room? Links?

If light is good for a human, how much should we have in a day? Links?
I posted a good link above.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think I can download a lux meter on my phone.

So what would be a good number for the lighting in a room with that? Links?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have learned about PAR here on reef to reef about corals so I was wondering if someone could provide me with information about what good lighting for humans would be like.

That’s why I asked for links to information

I didn’t know if I could ask a person with a PHD how to use my par meter in a room to find out if the light is too bright or dark.

I’m not asking y’all to be a dr.

I was asking for links to information I could read for myself.

I think someone in this world has had this thought before if it’s to bright or not enough brightness in a room and it’s affects on humans.
Throw some blinders on and chill. #DeathByRadions

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Been sleeping under my LEDs for a week so far..... will report back regarding my chronic halitosis, restless leg syndrome, alopecia, erectile dysfunction, irritable bowel syndrome, and fibromyalgia.....,, I’m hoping for the best.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back