Phyto culture - colors?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Commercial phyto for feed from a reputable source like Seachem or reef nutrition (I.e. phytofeast) works well ime. It's also way easier. Some of them sell live versions as well as preserved and it doesn't make much difference as far as I can tell.

But I expect they harvest the phyto when it's most nutritious and then preserve it for use as feed. A home phyto culture that's crashed is not the same.
Thanks for this! I thought that might be the case with home cultures that have crashed but I have no experience with live cultures so figured I better ask. :)

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old post, but I am hopping to shed some insight. I was having the same issue as you for the longest time, I was starting to spend so much more on phyto then I was trying to save lol.

The issue was, you need to start with a 1:1 ratio, one same part phyto culture one same part fresh salt water. I was trying to do like 1:14 to save phyto and it would get a little darker and then die day 3 ish. Once I started 1:1 I am growing dark / dense cultures. I do however, still have to harvest day 6.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back