OP
Jason K

Jason K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't take thia as any form of advice, but my phyto is usually ready after 3-5 days.

I just started two new cultures an hour ago (Nannochloropsis and Tetraselmis):

I'll try to remember to post an updated pic in a day or two.
I guess, both nutrients and light source plays a role, and possibly CO2 levels.
So you’re saying what, exactly?

I’m not sure if my culture was ready at day 5, but I wanted to wait two full weeks to make sure as much of the ferts were used up as possible.

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you’re saying what, exactly?

I’m not sure if my culture was ready at day 5, but I wanted to wait two full weeks to make sure as much of the ferts were used up as possible.
Just wondering about the color after 14 days.
Below picture is difference from the same day, taking at 11.45 am and 8.06 pm:
20221115_204102.jpg

The culture is on day 3.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that live stream I posted dong Zou says anyone can make green stuff it doesn't mean it's clean phyto, also he talks about how bacteria/protozoans can be passed around from contaminated cultures from tank to tank.

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that live stream I posted dong Zou says anyone can make green stuff it doesn't mean it's clean phyto, also he talks about how bacteria/protozoans can be passed around from contaminated cultures from tank to tank.
True. Pretty sure my leftover phyto in the frigde just resulted in unknown 'green water'.
Threw it out and bought new starter cultures.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually this really pertains, this is a great macna talk please watch it!

Pay close attention to the sterile techniques..

Is anyone else using pasteurization to make their phyto?

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually this really pertains, this is a great macna talk please watch it!

Pay close attention to the sterile techniques..

Is anyone else using pasteurization to make their phyto?

Interesting, but mostly aimed for raising fish and not a hobby reef tank.
I'll continue saying 'pods' as we are all know what that means XD

OP
OP
Jason K

Jason K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you all think my culture is dead and/or not is not Phyto?

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you all think my culture is dead and/or not is not Phyto?
Hard to say for sure, but I am surprised that it has not turned dark green after such a long time. I've never heard anyone harvesting after 2 weeks. Most say somewhere around 5-7 days.

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is aimed at raising fish, not a hobby reef tank?
The video is mostly how to, thoughts an aspects of culturing phyto, various pods/artemia for raising fish fry (and seahorses). I found very little useful info for a 'standard' reef tank.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video is mostly how to, thoughts an aspects of culturing phyto, various pods/artemia for raising fish fry (and seahorses). I found very little useful info for a 'standard' reef tank.
I guess it's how you looked at it. There wasn't quite enough time from when I posted it to your reply to finish the video in its entirety, but its mostly about phyto plankton and culturing it on a large scale, what it's used for is not the point. He also talks about raising 'not pods' for fish fry, but that just shows how qualified he is over most 'hobbiest' and thier "simple" reef tanks.

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it's how you looked at it. There wasn't quite enough time from when I posted it to your reply to finish the video in its entirety, but its mostly about phyto plankton and culturing it on a large scale, what it's used for is not the point. He also talks about raising 'not pods' for fish fry, but that just shows how qualified he is over most 'hobbiest' and thier "simple" reef tanks.
True. However, the importance of a very clean and sterile culture might be important when raising fry. Less important for raising pods.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. However, the importance of a very clean and sterile culture might be important when raising fry. Less important for raising pods.
If that's what you think that's fine but definitely not what he said I recommend watching the video again, it's not really for beginners so maybe you missed a few things or points he was trying to make

OP
OP
Jason K

Jason K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say for sure, but I am surprised that it has not turned dark green after such a long time. I've never heard anyone harvesting after 2 weeks. Most say somewhere around 5-7 days.
That dong zou fellow says he let's it go for 14 days

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did...and I don't see how it answered my question. other than its hard, don't even bother?
It didn't directly answer you question maybe not, but better to learn a bunch of information and answer your own questions, maybe with that video you start looking for more information, watching more macna talks and figure out what your doing right or wrong.

I don't think the point of his macna talk was to deter people In culturing their own phyto, I do believe he expressed a certain level of difficulty to it, and the steps involved in being successful, that could answer allot of questions if looked at from the right prospective.

OP
OP
Jason K

Jason K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It didn't directly answer you question maybe not, but better to learn a bunch of information and answer your own questions, maybe with that video you start looking for more information, watching more macna talks and figure out what your doing right or wrong.

I don't think the point of his macna talk was to deter people In culturing their own phyto, I do believe he expressed a certain level of difficulty to it, and the steps involved in being successful, that could answer allot of questions if looked at from the right prospective.
fair enough...it was informational for sure

OP
OP
Jason K

Jason K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I find that if harvested just a day or two late, it crashes.
But as you stated, yours still looks right and hasn't turned yellow.
When you say it crashes, what does it look like? clear, non-opaque?

Also looking at some pics of the four strains in ocean magik, two of them are bright green (nannochloropsis and tetraselmis) and two of them are yellowish brown (isochrysis and thalassiosira). My concoction is somewhere in between, so I'm hoping that I have live phyto that is still some mixture of the strains, and it will go one way or the other as I continue to split and one strain dominates. But then again...I could be growing some toxic bacteria instead.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back