Phyto culture container growing algae?

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say it crashes, what does it look like? clear, non-opaque?

Also looking at some pics of the four strains in ocean magik, two of them are bright green (nannochloropsis and tetraselmis) and two of them are yellowish brown (isochrysis and thalassiosira). My concoction is somewhere in between, so I'm hoping that I have live phyto that is still some mixture of the strains, and it will go one way or the other as I continue to split and one strain dominates. But then again...I could be growing some toxic bacteria instead.
Mine has turned from green to yellow.
If you wait more, the yellow pretty much settles at the bottom and you're left with clear water with nasty stuff on the bottom.
In my cases it has turned from nice green to yellow in half a day or so.

OP
OP
Jason K

Jason K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harvested/split an hour ago. Besides the suspicious color, it doesn’t smell and nothing settled out after an hour in the fridge. So still hoping I’ve got some live stuff.

C1A89AB6-3981-43F7-9796-F5F98042769C.jpeg

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harvested/split an hour ago. Besides the suspicious color, it doesn’t smell and nothing settled out after an hour in the fridge. So still hoping I’ve got some live stuff.

C1A89AB6-3981-43F7-9796-F5F98042769C.jpeg
The lack of smell is a good sign.
I think I'm going to invest in a decent microscope, so I can be sure that my green water is what I write on the label

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned an update on my new cultures. The two images are taken 48 hrs apart:
20221117_195931.jpg

It will most likely be ready Sunday.

OP
OP
Jason K

Jason K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ocean magik culture crashed big time 4/5 days after my first split. Clear solution, lots of skimate looking stuff at the top, and solid crud at the bottom. Boo.

I’m trying now with a tetra only culture, but it arrived warm in the mail. Not sure that’s great starter material, but let’s see.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ocean magik culture crashed big time 4/5 days after my first split. Clear solution, lots of skimate looking stuff at the top, and solid crud at the bottom. Boo.

I’m trying now with a tetra only culture, but it arrived warm in the mail. Not sure that’s great starter material, but let’s see.
Did you watch the macna video yet?

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine wasn't packed properly aswell. A bit annoying.
I have noticed that tetra doesn't get as dark or dense as nanno does.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back