Phyto culture density

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I am struggling with the density of my Phyto cultures. The starter culture I began with is much darker than what I am able to generate even after a week or more. It seems to me that my cultures bloom really well for the first three days or so and then never really progress past that. I am using a 19w LED grow strip and am bubbling them quite vigorously.
I am using sterilized culture medium (microwaved for five minutes and slow cooled) fertilized with Aqua Algae f/2 that I run at f/1 concentrations.
I’m really just trying to recreate the density I got in my starter culture. Any tips would be appreciated.
BB11C4A4-5AB8-4751-B212-6EAE4DF154E3.jpeg

912D9266-5AEC-4488-86AC-790CBE9A6E94.jpeg

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am struggling with the density of my Phyto cultures. The starter culture I began with is much darker than what I am able to generate even after a week or more. It seems to me that my cultures bloom really well for the first three days or so and then never really progress past that. I am using a 19w LED grow strip and am bubbling them quite vigorously.
I am using sterilized culture medium (microwaved for five minutes and slow cooled) fertilized with Aqua Algae f/2 that I run at f/1 concentrations.
I’m really just trying to recreate the density I got in my starter culture. Any tips would be appreciated.
Do you have information on the starter culture? I believe sometimes the final product we purchase is a blend of several different cultures/phyto types.
This blending is typically done at the nd of the grow cycles. If you try to regrow the blend, one culture may overtake the others and you'll never get the full density as previously established. At least that's my understanding. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have information on the starter culture? I believe sometimes the final product we purchase is a blend of several different cultures/phyto types.
This blending is typically done at the nd of the grow cycles. If you try to regrow the blend, one culture may overtake the others and you'll never get the full density as previously established. At least that's my understanding. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)
This is accurate except the prevailing culture should still get as dense as the original. The fact that it goes from multi to a single culture shouldn’t affect the density.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is accurate except the prevailing culture should still get as dense as the original. The fact that it goes from multi to a single culture shouldn’t affect the density.
Appreciate the followup :)
Could the Phyto be exhausting the fertilizer??

MBruun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my culture begame light/yellow isch I added 8 times recommended fertilizer and did not use any for 4 days, then the culture turned dark green again

OP
OP
C

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I started with single species cultures that I purchased from Deans Phyto on eBay. I confirmed that they were mostly single species via microscope. I am also culturing them as monocultures before blending them into the mix that I dose to my tank. Currently, I am culturing Isochrysis and Tetraselmis. The Tetraselmis is blooming up acceptably but the Iso is really just a beige color and never reaches that deep brown/gold color I got in the starter culture.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T-iso was a challenge. Culture crashes for me. I got nice brown t-iso bubbling cultures in a sunlit window. You might have plenty of nutrients, but maybe not strong enough lighting with those LED strips.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the followup :)
Could the Phyto be exhausting the fertilizer??

When my culture begame light/yellow isch I added 8 times recommended fertilizer and did not use any for 4 days, then the culture turned dark green again
These are consistent with my prior cultures using f/2. Up the fertilizer and see how it goes?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back