Phyto culture

aimed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a phyto culture I just started, it turned almost clear the second day so I figured I must have contaminated it, or the phyto I used may have also been dead or close to it (over a month old stores in fridge, not shaken everyday because I went on vacation) I left it running because I was to lazy to break it down. It’s now starting to turn green again as if it’s still alive. Would you use it still, or toss it?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two cultures going, and one of mine does that routinely when I split the culture and add more water (and a drop of fertilizer). I too thought it had gone bad the first time it did this, but it continued to darken up over the next week after an initial two day "bleaching" process: light green, white, and then darkening to a darker green. I harvested it when I didn't notice further greening. I wish I had a scientific test result for you, but I don't; the only thing that I can tell you is that I've been feeding my tanks with it (and the other culture) for the past month with no apparent ill effects. My gorgonians seem to love it, though.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have a phyto culture I just started, it turned almost clear the second day so I figured I must have contaminated it, or the phyto I used may have also been dead or close to it (over a month old stores in fridge, not shaken everyday because I went on vacation) I left it running because I was to lazy to break it down. It’s now starting to turn green again as if it’s still alive. Would you use it still, or toss it?
I would still keep it going especially if you have another container to grow phyto. With @davidcalgary29 having the same experience I would still try it but dose it in smaller amount to your tank and monitor their reactions. Would love updates on it's progress if you keep it going though :)

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had that happen too, but it's not necessarily phyto that comes back, could be cyano.

OP
OP
aimed

aimed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had that happen too, but it's not necessarily phyto that comes back, could be cyano.
Any way to tell? I’d imagine the cyano wouldn’t darken up like the phyto does?

OP
OP
aimed

aimed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no thank you. Took months to get rid of that.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I have a microscope from that time, I should be able to check what it is I would imagine?
You certainly can do this as long as you know what you're looking for/at (I wouldn't) and can separate background bacterial noise. Learning can be fun!

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any way to tell? I’d imagine the cyano wouldn’t darken up like the phyto does?
Oh, it will darken up much better than the phyto, actually. Synechoccus will reach higher density than phyto.

Best way to tell is a microscope.

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hot new trend for 2021: cyano dosing.
So there are actually people who do this. I mean on purpose. Synnechoccus, a type of cyanobacteria, is one of the "algae" types included in phytofeast.

I do not grow it because like other cyano it can form a green snotty mat and basically slime your substrate. And also it's like a weed and will take over any phyto culture given half the chance. But it's undeniably food for something in the reef...

OP
OP
aimed

aimed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1370EBBC-CF89-4C6F-A85B-7A0C66C230E1.jpeg

Thoughts?

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full disclosure: I'm not an expert.

What's the magnification? Is it moving? Nanno does not move, could be that but the clumping is not usual ime. I think it's bacteria.

Here is a mix of tetraselmis, nanno, and isochrysis at 300x (I think). The large green ones are tet, small round non-movimg ones are nanno, and small brown moving ones are iso.

20210713_145127.jpg

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back