Phyto to Pods Culture Size Ratio

Sarlindescent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at starting a phyto and pod culture for the first time. I plan on having 2 5 gallons setups for pods and to dose some phyto to my reef. I see a lot of 1 to 1 setups and people dumping phyto down the drain after filling up the fridge because they produce too much. What size phyto culture would you recommend for this setup?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 2 or 3 of the2 liter pop bottles at a time, and then store them in the fridge, it last me about 2 or 3 months, depending how often I use it. I'm in a condo and space is tight so this set up works for me.

boatguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I culture both phyto and pods. The phyto is great for the tank but I have switched to RG Complete for the pod cultures. It seems to provide much better results. I still add my phyto to the pod cultures but I believe that the RG complete has some additional additive (maybe for amonia?) that are quite helpful. Yes I end up with way to much phyto but I can give it away to others in my area.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at starting a phyto and pod culture for the first time. I plan on having 2 5 gallons setups for pods and to dose some phyto to my reef. I see a lot of 1 to 1 setups and people dumping phyto down the drain after filling up the fridge because they produce too much. What size phyto culture would you recommend for this setup?
Depends on how many strains you plan on culturing and what type of copepod?

Back