Phytoplankton and Pods to get rid of and or Control Dinoflagellates

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small case of Dyno's on my sand bed only. Mack's Reef says it looks like SCA with maybe a little LCA. They recommended dosing Silicates to cause a Diatom bloom to outcompete the Dyno's. I have read some threads that many reefers have had success eradicating Dino's using this method. After doing some more research I found on another site that someone recommended dosing Phyto and bacteria and adding more Pods worked for there tank. They got there recommendation from an Aquaculture company who supplied the phyto and pods.
Her tank size was 165gal and was dosing 50ml of phyto every other day on recommendation. Her tank had 1000 times more Dyno's on her sand bed than I do. So here is the kicker, that same company asked for my tank size and nutrient levels (255gal, NO3 9.6ppm and PO4 0.04ppm) and came back with a recommendation of adding more pods to my tank and get this, dosing 1 cup (236ml) DAILY of phyto. That equates to 472ml every other day. Based on my tank size of 255gal and the other girls tank size of 165gal, to match her phyto dosing I should only be dosing 82ml of phyto every other day. What's wrong with this picture? Am I missing something. In my opinion, if I dosed that much phyto I would think most would not be consumed and die off causing a bloom and one heck of a phosphate spike and crashing my tank. Maybe not crash but Deffinantly not good IMO. I was under the impression that the Phyto dosing standard is 5ml per 20gal or something in that range. Am I not understanding something or is dosing 236ml of phyto daily safe for a 255gal reef tank. My opinion is it is not recommended or safe but I have been wrong before.
Any thoughts on this?

20220708_141159.jpg

20220708_140700.jpg

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods do eat dinos

I just listened to that today. Coincidentally, I’m dealing with either a cyano or Dino problem. I’ll know tomorrow once my microscope arrives.

I subsequently placed an order for 64 oz of eco pods from algae barn. 28000+ pods for my 40b. I’ve got a small population of tisbe pods, these should supplement them well. And I’m sure my scooter blenny will be thrilled.

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small case of Dyno's on my sand bed only. Mack's Reef says it looks like SCA with maybe a little LCA. They recommended dosing Silicates to cause a Diatom bloom to outcompete the Dyno's. I have read some threads that many reefers have had success eradicating Dino's using this method. After doing some more research I found on another site that someone recommended dosing Phyto and bacteria and adding more Pods worked for there tank. They got there recommendation from an Aquaculture company who supplied the phyto and pods.
Her tank size was 165gal and was dosing 50ml of phyto every other day on recommendation. Her tank had 1000 times more Dyno's on her sand bed than I do. So here is the kicker, that same company asked for my tank size and nutrient levels (255gal, NO3 9.6ppm and PO4 0.04ppm) and came back with a recommendation of adding more pods to my tank and get this, dosing 1 cup (236ml) DAILY of phyto. That equates to 472ml every other day. Based on my tank size of 255gal and the other girls tank size of 165gal, to match her phyto dosing I should only be dosing 82ml of phyto every other day. What's wrong with this picture? Am I missing something. In my opinion, if I dosed that much phyto I would think most would not be consumed and die off causing a bloom and one heck of a phosphate spike and crashing my tank. Maybe not crash but Deffinantly not good IMO. I was under the impression that the Phyto dosing standard is 5ml per 20gal or something in that range. Am I not understanding something or is dosing 236ml of phyto daily safe for a 255gal reef tank. My opinion is it is not recommended or safe but I have been wrong before.
Any thoughts on this?

20220708_141159.jpg

20220708_140700.jpg

The Aquaculture company just emailed me back and gave me a better understanding, They were basing there dosage recommendation on my tank size and because I have a large filtration capacity. Also told me that I can add less if I want and work up. Also said they dose a half of cup daily on some of their 50gal tanks and the pods consumed it all with no increase in nutrients. Think I will give this a try.

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find a local souce for pods and phyto...working now on culturing both for the tank and then I can feed as much as it wants.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back