Phytoplankton culture w/ a drip into the tank?

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so due to my obsession with animals like nps, gorgonians, sponges, feather dusters, sessile inverts, and micropredators, I was wondering if it would be feasible to get a phyto culture attached to a drip to feed the tank I’m building. Would a 1 gallon jug work? also, how much flow should the drip have, should I run it on a timer? and how Will a constant flow of photo effect the tank. I know I’d get lots of zooplankton which micropredator’s and their prey eat.

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you keeping the phyto in some kind of fertilizer solution? Is it ok to dose this solution into the tank? Would you switch it to regular sea water before putting it in the dosing container?

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning my tank out right now I don’t have it set up yet. I think I might just culture it then drip it separately. Should I get a planktonic net to get the plankton into tank water so I can have consistent params in both containers

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And can photo live in normal seawater
Yes
I’m planning my tank out right now I don’t have it set up yet. I think I might just culture it then drip it separately. Should I get a planktonic net to get the plankton into tank water so I can have consistent params in both containers
I am not sure what you mean by plankton net. The phyto you culture will typical be too small for most screens and sieves.

Have a look at this thread Nitrate and Phosphorus Control via Phytoplankton Additions? Lots of good info in it.

Your main challenge will be dealing with rising salinity and avoiding dosing the nutrients from the culture. Dana found that the phosphate was the first to deplete, so if your also using F/2, that may not be too much of a worry.

Dennis

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 52.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back