Phytoplankton culture

Psychonaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, thinking of starting to culture so phytoplankton as a little side project and just had a couple questions

Do I really need like an LED light, or can I just leave it in a window?

Do I really need to dose phytoplankton fertilizer? I have some ESV-B+ in the mail, can I use that? If not can someone recommend a good source that’s pretty cheap? I really just want to limit my re-occurring expenses.

Thanks!

(p.s. maybe this doesn’t count as macroalgae but I didn’t know where else to put it)

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, thinking of starting to culture so phytoplankton as a little side project and just had a couple questions

Do I really need like an LED light, or can I just leave it in a window?

Do I really need to dose phytoplankton fertilizer? I have some ESV-B+ in the mail, can I use that? If not can someone recommend a good source that’s pretty cheap? I really just want to limit my re-occurring expenses.

Thanks!

(p.s. maybe this doesn’t count as macroalgae but I didn’t know where else to put it)

Sunlight will work, but may create temp swing between direct sun and no sun. Most people prefer the control and reliability of a fluorescent light.
Phyto fertilizer is best and easy and cheap
Florida aqua farms micro algae grow http://floridaaquafarms.com/shop/micro-algae-grow/
Fritz Pro Algae food https://fritzaquatics.com/products/f-2-algae-food
I like fritz because it's 2-part and thus less likely to go bad, and I like Florida aqua farms because it's so mindlessly easy - 10 drops per mL of culture. But both are cheap and easy and last a long time.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sunlight will work, but may create temp swing between direct sun and no sun. Most people prefer the control and reliability of a fluorescent light.
Phyto fertilizer is best and easy and cheap
Florida aqua farms micro algae grow http://floridaaquafarms.com/shop/micro-algae-grow/
Fritz Pro Algae food https://fritzaquatics.com/products/f-2-algae-food
I like fritz because it's 2-part and thus less likely to go bad, and I like Florida aqua farms because it's so mindlessly easy - 10 drops per mL of culture. But both are cheap and easy and last a long time.

Agreed with the LED.

With regards to food, we recommend BRAWNDO!
48e4402e-4ce5-4ee8-8843-adcb9aa8dbe1_text.gif

but in seriousness:
Fritz is better, but FAF isn't bad. We use a derivative of Fritz Pro Algae Food. We supplement with more vitamins.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used several F/2 fertilizers over the years including Forida aqua-farms.

I would use a light and not a window. It is good to light it 24 hours aday.

I bought a cheap led light and rubber banded it to the 1 gallon glass jars. It was like 12 dollars and worked great.
I have also used the Innovative Marine Auqua gadgets chaetomax refugium light a little more expensive but did a better job.

Personally I got the best growth with t-5 growlights.

I will have to try Fritz.

Last edited:

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with the LED.

When you say LED, can you give an example of what kind of light you mean?

(I checked spectrum of my cheap home depot LEDs, and the warm white misses almost all of the good wavelengths. A real waste of watts.)

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When you say LED, can you give an example of what kind of light you mean?

(I checked spectrum of my cheap home depot LEDs, and the warm white misses almost all of the good wavelengths. A real waste of watts.)
5000k to 6500k(better)

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do concentrate it once is ready? Does anybody know how to do it?

Concentrate the Algae? You can let it settle out or buy a continuous centrifuge (they start at about ~$10k, we just got a pretty one :-D).

Last edited:

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just ordered 8 bottles of Phytoplankton. I wish @AlgaeBarn sold gallon jugs or larger quantities cheaper.

We are working on a product that will solve this issue pretty well. We are testing shelf life at the moment. In the meantime, how much do you need and is it regular use? We can setup a custom subscription for you

Will-Yum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are working on a product that will solve this issue pretty well. We are testing shelf life at the moment. In the meantime, how much do you need and is it regular use? We can setup a custom subscription for you

I don't like to sign up for subscriptions cause I lose track of money going out. I've been ordering a lot from you guys lately and it varies what I need.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't like to sign up for subscriptions cause I lose track of money going out. I've been ordering a lot from you guys lately and it varies what I need.
We appreciate the support, we are working on some test life studies, but we will be sure to notify you directly once we release :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back