Phytoplankton Dosing Amount? Is Dosing Zooplankton Actually Very Beneficial?

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Might as well tag a pro and see what he thinks :) @Eldredge

In a natural reef the phytoplankton forms part of the basic foundation of the food chain. It converts sunlight into matter via photosynthesis. Small organisms then consume the phytoplankton and are then consumed by larger organisms and so on up the food chain. If it weren't for phytoplankton, our natural reefs wouldn't exist as we know them.

In a closed system like our reef tanks, it isn't realistic to obtain an equilibrium between the light, phyto, and organisms in the food chain. So, many of us dose phytoplankton to provide food to the smallest organisms and filter feeders (including some corals) in the system. These small organisms and their offspring then provide natural food to the corals and fish. They also assist as part of the clean-up crew. So, dosing phyto adds a great source of natural food and increases the bio-diversity and robustness of the system.

There are many other benefits observed by aquarists dosing live phyto in particular (as opposed to dead phyto) including higher pH, lower nutrient levels, less nuisance algae, increased growth of NPS corals and filter feeders, increased feeding response from many corals, increased numbers of pods and filter feeders, and help in defeating dinoflagellates.

Some of these organisms don't care if the phyto is dead or alive, but some do - they will only consume live phyto. So, providing live phyto rather than dead phyto provides food to all of the organisms including those that require live food.

Another advantage of live phyto is that it is very difficult to overdose. While dead phyto should be treated like any other non-living food because it will foul the water if overfed, live phyto will simply live in the system consuming some nutrients until it is consumed.

As far as dosage goes, almost any amount of live phyto dosed on a regular basis will be beneficial. I usually recommend starting with about 3ml/10 gallons, but you can do much more than this if you wish. Less would also be okay.

The benefits of dosing phyto will vary somewhat from system to system, and not every reefer will observe every benefit. I tend to think of phyto as a very basic food that makes the system more diverse, robust, and healthy.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a natural reef the phytoplankton forms part of the basic foundation of the food chain. It converts sunlight into matter via photosynthesis. Small organisms then consume the phytoplankton and are then consumed by larger organisms and so on up the food chain. If it weren't for phytoplankton, our natural reefs wouldn't exist as we know them.

In a closed system like our reef tanks, it isn't realistic to obtain an equilibrium between the light, phyto, and organisms in the food chain. So, many of us dose phytoplankton to provide food to the smallest organisms and filter feeders (including some corals) in the system. These small organisms and their offspring then provide natural food to the corals and fish. They also assist as part of the clean-up crew. So, dosing phyto adds a great source of natural food and increases the bio-diversity and robustness of the system.

There are many other benefits observed by aquarists dosing live phyto in particular (as opposed to dead phyto) including higher pH, lower nutrient levels, less nuisance algae, increased growth of NPS corals and filter feeders, increased feeding response from many corals, increased numbers of pods and filter feeders, and help in defeating dinoflagellates.

Some of these organisms don't care if the phyto is dead or alive, but some do - they will only consume live phyto. So, providing live phyto rather than dead phyto provides food to all of the organisms including those that require live food.

Another advantage of live phyto is that it is very difficult to overdose. While dead phyto should be treated like any other non-living food because it will foul the water if overfed, live phyto will simply live in the system consuming some nutrients until it is consumed.

As far as dosage goes, almost any amount of live phyto dosed on a regular basis will be beneficial. I usually recommend starting with about 3ml/10 gallons, but you can do much more than this if you wish. Less would also be okay.

The benefits of dosing phyto will vary somewhat from system to system, and not every reefer will observe every benefit. I tend to think of phyto as a very basic food that makes the system more diverse, robust, and healthy.
That's the goal...a diverse, healthy system which will provide the foundational food source for as many organisms as possible...the only other thing I was hoping was that it would raise nutrient levels some since I didn't think the full dose of phyto would survive and would be broken down into nutrients after they died...does this conflict with your experiences?

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
That's the goal...a diverse, healthy system which will provide the foundational food source for as many organisms as possible...the only other thing I was hoping was that it would raise nutrient levels some since I didn't think the full dose of phyto would survive and would be broken down into nutrients after they died...does this conflict with your experiences?

With live phyto, you probably won't see an increase in nutrients unless there is still some fertilizer in the culture (there normally shouldn't be). If anything, it may lower them slightly depending upon how much you dose. Of course, there are nutrients in the live phyto, so when it is consumed some of these nutrients will likely be excreted from the organism that ate it. The net effect will probably vary a little from system to system...

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With live phyto, you probably won't see an increase in nutrients unless there is still some fertilizer in the culture (there normally shouldn't be). If anything, it may lower them slightly depending upon how much you dose. Of course, there are nutrients in the live phyto, so when it is consumed some of these nutrients will likely be excreted from the organism that ate it. The net effect will probably vary a little from system to system...
Ok, so apart from ghost feeding (which I'm not a huge fan of) the best way to raise nutrients would just be to add a fish or two?

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ok, so apart from ghost feeding (which I'm not a huge fan of) the best way to raise nutrients would just be to add a fish or two?
Essentially. Their waste and the food in the water will do so to an extent. Depends on filtration as well

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially. Their waste and the food in the water will do so to an extent. Depends on filtration as well
I'll get a fish or two tomorrow if I can get to a shop and fatten them up well with grindal worms and pellets....I think that'll do the trick. The system has a protein skimmer for mechanical filtration.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Excited to see it :) Any ideas on fish for that system?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't made up my mind definitively...I really like these wrasses though but not sure if they'd be ok in there or not... Screenshot_2022-08-15-19-46-18-158_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering zooplankton (and amphipods of you count that) are arguably the best clean up crew a tank can have along with brittle/serpent stars, yes. As for the photo amount, I just put a couple of gulps in. I don't think there is a realistic possibility of overdosing unless you have a lot of fertilizer unused in the phyto culture.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also was considering one of these...I believe they're called a Spotted Hawkfish...i was warned it may eat shrimp or other small fish or inverts though so not sure about this guy... Screenshot_2022-08-19-06-08-38-914_com.android.chrome.jpg

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, should the skimmer be turned off when dosing Phyto? If so, for how long? I was told dosing at night is best as well.

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, should the skimmer be turned off when dosing Phyto? If so, for how long? I was told dosing at night is best as well.

We usually suggest turning off your skimmer and UV for about an hour after dosing. It's not an absolute requirement, but it can help!

SE7ƎN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive actually visited once before as well! It was a few years back though!
Can I ask where you are buying live Phyto from? I've only been able to get bottles of Bereef, but unless those bottles are fresh, the phyto's are pretty much dead.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live close by. Bought some trochus snails and crabs from them! Small world.
I bought a starfish from them just about a month ago! They're definitely one of my preferred places to buy from! Some of the shops at Chatuchak are good as well but honestly I like the selection Bluesea has as well as well as the fact that they get regular shipments
Can I ask where you are buying live Phyto from? I've only been able to get bottles of Bereef, but unless those bottles are fresh, the phyto's are pretty much dead.
I feel the same way...right now I'm doing the same with Bereef because I haven't found any other alternative...I assume at least some is still alive but now that you mention it, you're probably right in saying that it's mostly dead tbh...

Back