Phytoplankton Set-up???

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased some Phytoplankton, and matching Fertilizer. Pictured is how I was planing on culture set up. I was going to get a small preset at 78F heater. There will be tap water in the Aquarium and saltwater in the Jugs. Small pump for the air supply. How should I Sterilize the Saltwater, would it be okay to use Clorox, and let the Clorox Evaporate? What PPT should the water be at? What cheap LED Light to use? Should I start one or both bottles, and if two should I space out the culture start? Thanks.

image.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks good, but no need for a heater though unless you live in a cold house, its over complicating it. You should use rodi water. Not sure how else to sterilise water, I would suggest distilled water if you cant get rodi water

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rodi is fine and mix the salt at 1.020. Cleanliness is important but the process is still very flexible. Get some rubbing alcahol for anything you touch if you are worried about contamination, just let it evaporate before you add the culture of it will kill it.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sterilize by boiling in microwave for about 7 minutes and cooling. I rinsed the bottles with a bit of bleach and water then rinsed it 50 times. RODI based SW mixed to 1.18-1.020 if good. I use an old LED light I had sitting around but it doesn't seem to matter a huge amount. I used 1 of the two culture disks I bought to inoculate two 2L bottles.

I have another culture going from what was left of my OceanMagik mix that wasn't sterilized, higher salinity around 1.022 and used a incandescent lamp bulb. It is doing great to so I think if you do your best to prevent cross contamination you will do fine.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's the aquarium full of water for? To keep the phyto warm? probably unnecessary. I use glass carboys, sanitize every few splits with Starsan. I don't heat it, but it is right near the pair of lights I use so they stay warm enough. My water is the same water I use for the occasional water change so 1.026, LEDs are a pair of shop lights from Home Depot. I run two types relatively close to eachother, can't say they haven't or won't contaminate the other but also not terribly concerned by that.

Mr Mumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a glass gallon jar with plastic lid and I sit it on a plank going across my sump with a mirror behind it to reflect as much of my refugium light as possible to it. I then have small air pump with rigid tube blowing moderate bubbles from the bottom of the jar to keep phyto moving. The warmth from being inside the cabinet above the sump is plenty enough. I have thick thick dark green goods going lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back