Phytoplankton: Single Doses, Manually Dose, or Connect to a Doser!

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score

EasyReefs EasyBooster Phytoplankton Gel

PRODUCT LINKS:

In nature, there is one key organism that stands alone as the base of the marine ecosystem. Without this small giant, life in the ocean would be impossible.

Phytoplankton or marine microalgae are microscopic vegetable cells that can be found dispersed in the sea. Marine phytoplankton is considered a superfood containing vitamins, essential fatty acids, amino acids, proteins, carbohydrates, minerals and bioactive compounds involved in the metabolic activities of all living marine organisms.

EasyBooster from #EasyReefs makes feeding your aquarium beneficial phytoplankton simple to manage. It is a super-concentrated phytoplankton liquid gel for our reef tanks. Best of all, it DOES NOT NEED REFRIGERATION!!! You heard it right; EasyBooster can be preserved at room temperature for over 18months without any form of refrigeration.

EasyBooster is available in convenient one-shot blister packs or a larger 250ml pouch for a simple hands-off approach when used in conjunction with a dosing pump. Connect the Easy Booster 25 to a liquid doser and have it automatically add phytoplankton to your system once, twice, six, twelve, or even twenty-four times a day. Whatever you decide!

Start dosing a small amount on a daily basis and work your way up as the weeks go by. On a 250 gal system, we recommend starting with 2ml daily the first week and then increase the dosage by 2ml every week until you reach 8 ml a day.

#EasyReefs

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Great video and interesting and practical package for dosing phytoplankton to the tank. Do you know if any one is dosing this product to rotifer or copepod cultures?

mfollen

View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks for the intel @CoralVue . I started using this product and, while I have a few other positive improvements in my tank, my acros are looking great and have colored up immensely since using this product.
It’s great that it doesn’t directly raise nitrates and phosphates.

one request though, please carry larger dosing pouches. The current size just isn’t ideal for use on bigger tanks (200g here).

thanks!

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Great video and interesting and practical package for dosing phytoplankton to the tank. Do you know if any one is dosing this product to rotifer or copepod cultures?
I've asked EasyReefs to come on and answer your question. I think their answer will be a lot more interesting and offer more substance than I can!

Thanks for the intel @CoralVue . I started using this product and, while I have a few other positive improvements in my tank, my acros are looking great and have colored up immensely since using this product.
It’s great that it doesn’t directly raise nitrates and phosphates.

one request though, please carry larger dosing pouches. The current size just isn’t ideal for use on bigger tanks (200g here).

thanks!
Thank you for the awesome feedback!

We do have a 1500ml size available: https://www.coralvue.com/easy-reefs-easybooster-pro

Should there be a version that's even larger?

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Oh super - wasn’t aware. No that would last me long enough per package.
It looks like we have 9 in stock, so if you can't find a store to purchase it from, we could possibly make that available so you can buy from us (normally we do not sell direct to consumer).

Luis Easyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you for your question. We actually have an specific product for this purpose.

Easyroti is marine liquid phytoplankton specially formulated for rotifer cultures. It is a combination of our Nannochloropsis (80%) and Tetraselmis (20%) and you can find it in 250ml, 1500ml and 3000ml.

On the other side we have Easyart that has been specifically designed for artemia cultures. It contains Tetraselmis (100%) and you can find it in 50ml, 250ml and 1500ml.

We also have Easyrich for rotifer and artemia enrichment. This product is composed of Nannochloropsis (50%) and Isochrysis (50%). It is available in 50ml and 250ml.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Space Coyote

View Badges
Reaction score
hello
Does preserved mean live?
What would be the difference between buying this vs live phytoplankton besides ease of use.
Concentration?

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you for your question. We actually have an specific product for this purpose.

Easyroti is marine liquid phytoplankton specially formulated for rotifer cultures. It is a combination of our Nannochloropsis (80%) and Tetraselmis (20%) and you can find it in 250ml, 1500ml and 3000ml.

On the other side we have Easyart that has been specifically designed for artemia cultures. It contains Tetraselmis (100%) and you can find it in 50ml, 250ml and 1500ml.

We also have Easyrich for rotifer and artemia enrichment. This product is composed of Nannochloropsis (50%) and Isochrysis (50%). It is available in 50ml and 250ml.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Thank you for the feedback! Is there a common ratio when using the Easyroti and Easyrich together or when using the Easyart and the Easyrich together? I’m sure it varies, but I’m wondering about a starting point such as the one described by Carlos in the video above.

Easyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
hello
Does preserved mean live?
What would be the difference between buying this vs live phytoplankton besides ease of use.
Concentration?
Hello,
Our phytoplankton isn’t alive. It is harvested in its optimal production point to ensure it will contain the required nutritional properties. There are some advantages for this.

Thanks to the production process and the mineral suspension, our phytoplankton can be stored at normal room temperature even after starting to use it. This helps a lot if you want to dose your product automatically using a dosing pump.

There is no doubt that living phytoplankton that has been cultured under optimal conditions has advantages over preserved phytoplankton.

However, this statement needs some clarification or else it represents information that is not very valid from a practical point of view. Allow me a metaphor that I think is very revealing…

If someone tells you, what’s better, a fresh chicken directly from the farm to your kitchen and from there to your table or a frozen chicken? Chances are, you’ll answer “a fresh chicken”.

So far, we’ll probably all agree. But the reality is that unless you’re the one raising those chickens, what you’re going to get is a chicken that was put in a box three or four weeks ago, without water, without food, without light, without air and surrounded by its own waste.

In this case, would you buy the chicken labelled as live or would you perhaps opt for the frozen one?

Aside from whether alive or dead, you have to keep in mind that most phytoplankton products marketed as live are usually from a single species of microalgae. This means that it is difficult to present a complete nutritional profile, for which a mixture of specially selected microalgae must be made.

For example, with the Easybooster mentioned above, it is the product in the market with the highest cellular concentration, 2.5 x 10^9 cells/ml.

Therefore there are some very good reasons to use this kind of phytoplankton.

Easyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback! Is there a common ratio when using the Easyroti and Easyrich together or when using the Easyart and the Easyrich together? I’m sure it varies, but I’m wondering about a starting point such as the one described by Carlos in the video above.
Actually, the products you are mentioning are used separately. Easyroti is used in rotifer cultures and Easyart in artemia cultures. They are the general feed that has to be dosed daily to keep the cultures working.

Whereas the Easyrich is dosed to the rotifer or artemia already harvested from the culture, a couple of hours before using it to ensure the enrichment. Therefore the Easyrich is never added to the main culture directly.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I've asked EasyReefs to come on and answer your question. I think their answer will be a lot more interesting and offer more substance than I can!

Thank you for the awesome feedback!

We do have a 1500ml size available: https://www.coralvue.com/easy-reefs-easybooster-pro

Should there be a version that's even larger?
Oh super - wasn’t aware. No that would last me long enough per package.
I did some quick math. Given a recommended dose of 8ml/day/260 gallons, I would expect to dose 4.6ml/day in my 150. That works out to 326 days/package and a cost of $0.32/day. This has my interest, though I've been pretty committed to going with my own culture.

Easyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
I assume this is a highly concentrated formula by the amount recommend to use?
It is actually a highly concentrated formula.

A 1L rotifer culture can be harvested a 25% daily, the equivalent to 250 ml, and should be refilled with 250 ml of live phytoplankton. However, using our Easyroti phytoplankton, you only have to use 4ml per litre of culture. Therefore you can see that it is approximately 60 times more concentrated than a normal culture of live phytoplankton.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
We have Biocubes. I was doing the math to scale it down for us. Been using other products locally grown. The suggested dose is vague, but much higher.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Actually, the products you are mentioning are used separately. Easyroti is used in rotifer cultures and Easyart in artemia cultures. They are the general feed that has to be dosed daily to keep the cultures working.

Whereas the Easyrich is dosed to the rotifer or artemia already harvested from the culture, a couple of hours before using it to ensure the enrichment. Therefore the Easyrich is never added to the main culture directly.
Thank you for the clarification. So if I understand correctly:
  • EasyBooster - highly concentrated, non-live, shelf-stable phytoplankton
  • Easyroti - food for live rotifer cultures
  • Easyart - food for live artemia (aka brine shrimp) cultures
  • Easyrich - enrichment food for live rotifer or artemia to use after they have been harvested and before they are fed.

Is this close to a proper representation of the different products?

Easyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification. So if I understand correctly:
  • EasyBooster - highly concentrated, non-live, shelf-stable phytoplankton
  • Easyroti - food for live rotifer cultures
  • Easyart - food for live artemia (aka brine shrimp) cultures
  • Easyrich - enrichment food for live rotifer or artemia to use after they have been harvested and before they are fed.

Is this close to a proper representation of the different products?
Yes, absolutely. Having in mind that the differences amongst the mentioned products is just the combination of different phytoplankton species depending on the required application. They are all highly concentrated, non-live and shelf-stable phytoplankton. All produced with the same technologies.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you for the additional clarification. Is there a shelf life or best-used-by time frame? Additionally, does moderately high or low temperatures effect the product?

Easyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you for the additional clarification. Is there a shelf life or best-used-by time frame? Additionally, does moderately high or low temperatures effect the product?
Thank you for your questions.

All of our products have 2 years of shelf life. The packaging allows the product life not to be altered after starting to use it. The flexible bag is compressed when extracting the product and prevents oxygen from entering the container, thus leaving the initial conditions of the container intact.

Our phytoplankton will have no issues with modetate temperatures. Of course we recommend to avoid any extreme high/low temperatures as this may affect the nutritional properties.

Space Coyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello,
Our phytoplankton isn’t alive. It is harvested in its optimal production point to ensure it will contain the required nutritional properties. There are some advantages for this.

Thanks to the production process and the mineral suspension, our phytoplankton can be stored at normal room temperature even after starting to use it. This helps a lot if you want to dose your product automatically using a dosing pump.

There is no doubt that living phytoplankton that has been cultured under optimal conditions has advantages over preserved phytoplankton.

However, this statement needs some clarification or else it represents information that is not very valid from a practical point of view. Allow me a metaphor that I think is very revealing…

If someone tells you, what’s better, a fresh chicken directly from the farm to your kitchen and from there to your table or a frozen chicken? Chances are, you’ll answer “a fresh chicken”.

So far, we’ll probably all agree. But the reality is that unless you’re the one raising those chickens, what you’re going to get is a chicken that was put in a box three or four weeks ago, without water, without food, without light, without air and surrounded by its own waste.

In this case, would you buy the chicken labelled as live or would you perhaps opt for the frozen one?

Aside from whether alive or dead, you have to keep in mind that most phytoplankton products marketed as live are usually from a single species of microalgae. This means that it is difficult to present a complete nutritional profile, for which a mixture of specially selected microalgae must be made.

For example, with the Easybooster mentioned above, it is the product in the market with the highest cellular concentration, 2.5 x 10^9 cells/ml.

Therefore there are some very good reasons to use this kind of phytoplankton.
Thanks for the information. I do agree regarding phytoplankton. I’ve seen a lot of increase tank stability since manually dosing daily phyto. Are you planning on selling it online?

Is Reef Conservation/Stewardship a factor in your hobby decisions? (private poll)

• Very Important

Votes: 204 54.4%
  • Somewhat Imporatant

Votes: 124 33.1%
  • Not Too Important

Votes: 34 9.1%
  • Not Important At All

Votes: 13 3.5%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors