OP
E

eben

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the feedback. It is obviosly very benificial to dose live phytoplankton. I will start my dosing soon! :)

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AcroNem What is Alive and what is Dead? You can buy it at Algae Barn or Pod your Reef, is that considered Alive? If so how long does it stay alive once bottled and shipped?

Yes AlgaeBarn is alive. My jar had many pods I could visibly see just doing their thing. Their phytoplankton settles at the bottom like, wait for it, algae. I haven't looked at the phytoplankton under microscope so I don't know if that is alive but it does require refrigeration. It is supposed to out compete other algae in the tank and I sorta believe that to be true. I was in the midst of an ugly phase and then it all sorta disappeared within a week of dosing 10-15mL per 200 litres per day. I still have algae but it looks like nature and not algae apocalypses.

M

member 99594

View Badges
Newbee question here....

I was looking into dosing Phytoplankton as well. I see some companies are selling "Sterile" Phytoplankton, is this what they refer to as "Dead" Phytoplankton and cannot reproduce?

Part Two:
What are the benefits of dosing live phytoplankton vs dead "sterile" phytoplankton?

Tanks in advance. :)

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my understanding. Dead Phytoplankton is in a bottle on my shelf above my fridge. My live phytoplankton is dosed to the tank. Both are foods, one has a shelf life though. When I feed dead phytoplankton I notice nothing happening in the tank. Nothing, not even polyp extensions on corals that extend for damnear anything. I dose the live stuff and my glass gets a coat of the phytoplankton over the course of 36 hours and when I scrape it off, corals will swell. All forms of pods will be out and about eating and growing. The entire tank feels alive. I stopped dosing because I didn't enjoy it and it became such a chore.

M

member 99594

View Badges
Here is my understanding. Dead Phytoplankton is in a bottle on my shelf above my fridge. My live phytoplankton is dosed to the tank. Both are foods, one has a shelf life though. When I feed dead phytoplankton I notice nothing happening in the tank. Nothing, not even polyp extensions on corals that extend for damnear anything. I dose the live stuff and my glass gets a coat of the phytoplankton over the course of 36 hours and when I scrape it off, corals will swell. All forms of pods will be out and about eating and growing. The entire tank feels alive. I stopped dosing because I didn't enjoy it and it became such a chore.
ahh.. The benefits are great from what I hear.

Do you know if them saying sterile is what they mean by "Dead" Phytoplankton?

I am not sure because they still say it has a shelf life in the fridge of 2 months thawed or up to 1 year frozen.

M

member 99594

View Badges
It would be an easier conversation with knowing the brands you have in mind

"Our phytoplankton blend is an excellent addition to the bottom of the food chain in your aquarium’s ecosystem. It is ideal for feeding small aquatic creatures such as: copepods, rotifers, osyters, clams, and brine shrimp.

This blend is sterile and will not reproduce. Adding phytoplankton to your tank that has the ability to reproduce can be dangerous as it self-propagates, especially if your tank is exposed to direct sunlight. Our phytoplankton is the same at the cellular level, and has the same nutrients, but it cannot reproduce. Bottled phytoplankton must be kept refrigerated (will keep for 2 months) or frozen (will keep for 2 years)."

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back