Phytoplankton

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those culturing multiple phytoplankton strains, do you do anything differently or do the same rules apply for each strain? Also, can the strains be cultured next to one another (in separate containers)? I’m thinking about culturing nanno, tetra, and iso.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those culturing multiple phytoplankton strains, do you do anything differently or do the same rules apply for each strain? Also, can the strains be cultured next to one another (in separate containers)? I’m thinking about culturing nanno, tetra, and iso.
The process isn’t different for different strains, but some are more sensitive and likely to crash. Yes, they can be next to each other, just be careful not to cross contaminate.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I start my cultures with any mix of phyto such as Ocean Magic or do I need a specific strain such as Nannochloropsis?

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to have a preferred strain and/or source for your phyto?
@Eldredge is a good source.

Nanno is the most common and important, but many like to add motile algaes such as Tetraselmis and Isochrysis.
You can always splice some filters into the airline if you're concerned about contamination.
Yes sir. I’ve been using sterile cotton balls for that.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think it’s less prone to crash as the others can be. Just make sure you use 70% rubbing alcohol to sanitize everything!
So far I've used bleach with thorough rinsing but I've heard air drying after alcohol works. If that's true alcohol seems easier.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back