(Pic) Fairy Wrasse unexplained disappearance 10 days ago, now his tail is sticking out from a hole.

TraverseCity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around 10 days ago, my ruby-finned fairy wrasse disappeared. Ammonia has not spiked, I have only small non-predatory fish, some base rock, and 20 tiny hermits.

She does get occasionally smacked by two blue and yellow damsels (forget the name) but it was always just a few runs at her a day, pretty aggressive but she was good at dodging and it wasn’t all the time.

The tank is 10 weeks old with no signs of disease. Plenty of water changes, zero ammonia/nitrite, low nitrates, salinity is good. I feed rods, LRS, or NLS twice daily.

I knew they can hide for weeks and reappear so I hadn’t given up hope. But this morning I can see a tail in this very obvious hole in the rock. Couldn’t have been there before or I would have see her. So she must have been alive last night, possibly moved in the night? I don’t think she would get in there any other way.

The tail looks a little tattered I think. Those spots in the pic most likely are not ich as my other 9 fish have been symptom-free and very healthy.

I just hope if she is alive and makes a last-ditch effort to survive, that I can see her and offer food when she comes out because my tank doesn’t have anything natural for a meat-eater to consume (no live rock, just base rock with some light algae.)

Any tips from wrasse-experts? Can she last this long without feeding? I think I should just leave her alone and offer food if she comes out.

6DE38C4A-9B9C-49E7-8C81-FF1E7002D318.jpeg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it may be hiding/reclusive from the aggressors. The fish may eventually perish if the bullying does not stop.

10 weeks is a very young tank too and 9 fish seems like a lot in 10 weeks... how long has this fish been in there and what are all the tank mates?

What size is the tank?

OP
OP
T

TraverseCity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply!

100 gal

4 small damsels
Royal gramma
Six line
Tail spot blenny
Two baby clowns

All fish are small, 1.5-3”. I don’t think I rushed the stocking from a bioload perspective as the fish are so small. The tank was cycled prior to the fish additions so I should say it’s 13 weeks if you count cycling with bacteria in a bottle.

The bullying is possibly a factor I agree, though I would be surprised as it was only occasional and mostly she swam around without being bothered. The damsels are slightly smaller than her. Nobody else bothers her.

OP
OP
T

TraverseCity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: it moved! So it’s confirmed alive. Saw it adjust its position in the hole. It’s tail looks a little tattered. Wish I could get some food in its stomach.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is probably just stressed and the fin could be tattered from bullies. Putting damsels in early is generally never a good idea. They should be later in the stocking, same with the sixline. Hopefully it comes out and starts eating soon and whatever is bothering it settles down.

I can't tell what the white is.. looks like maybe scrapes or damage. Seems large for typical ich.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back