Pic of my DIY sump

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a shallow 50 gallon peninsula being made and am making a DIY 20g long sump. Before I silicone in the baffles, would you be able to tell me if this looks right?

I have filter roller on left chamber, refugium (and skimmer maybe in future) in middle chamber and return pump in right chamber. I bought DIY baffles on Amazon and it appears my water level will be 7" with them... I bought a Bubble Magus Curve 5 not knowing the water height needs to be above that for the skimmer but that's another issue..

Does that look right? I don't really know what purpose the baffle on the left will have but pics online show this setup.

unnamed-7.jpg

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the last baffle closest to the return pump is raised a lil bit off the floor of the tank right? i would go about an inch...

the baffle closest to your filter roller is cut that way to keep macro algae contained if you were to use this kit for a refugium. the baffle with the vertical teeth will set your water height. looks great!

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the last baffle closest to the return pump is raised a lil bit off the floor of the tank right? i would go about an inch...

the baffle closest to your filter roller is cut that way to keep macro algae contained if you were to use this kit for a refugium. the baffle with the vertical teeth will set your water height. looks great!
Thanks for taking the time to evaluate it! Yes the baffle closest to the return is going to be off the floor I just haven't siliconed it in yet. I will go with an inch then

Drewe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very good! One thing, you won't be able to have a skimmer and a refugium in the same section unless your refugium won't be housing any macro-algae (unless there is some very clever way to keep it from entering the skimmer pump), but even then the skimmer will take up so much room that the refugium would be mostly useless for any nutrient export. You can absolutely run without a skimmer either way though.

I have a similar DIY sump but it's setup for filter socks instead, in fact the water drains into the sock which is in the skimmer chamber itself, goes to the refugium which is just LR and Chaeto, and then to the return chamber. This is on a 20long as well. My return chamber is a bit smaller than yours from what I can see as well. The only difference I've seen with having a small return chamber is the ATO pump kicks on more often.

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very good! One thing, you won't be able to have a skimmer and a refugium in the same section unless your refugium won't be housing any macro-algae (unless there is some very clever way to keep it from entering the skimmer pump), but even then the skimmer will take up so much room that the refugium would be mostly useless for any nutrient export. You can absolutely run without a skimmer either way though.

I have a similar DIY sump but it's setup for filter socks instead, in fact the water drains into the sock which is in the skimmer chamber itself, goes to the refugium which is just LR and Chaeto, and then to the return chamber. This is on a 20long as well. My return chamber is a bit smaller than yours from what I can see as well. The only difference I've seen with having a small return chamber is the ATO pump kicks on more often.
Have any pictures of it by chance?

Back