Picasso Clownfish equilibrium issue

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a pair of Picasso Clownfish that were breathing heavily, but no symptoms of disease were visible. I told the owner I could probably save them so he sold me both for $65. Not a bad deal! So I FW dipped them, and started medication and gained control of their respiratory rates, but one is having equilibrium issues. It's very odd. I'm not sure what's causing this. He appears to have Brooklynella, but I've never seen it have this affect. Maybe some of you Clownfish experts can help me out.?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have. He's losing the battle it seems. Once they start losing their ability to control swimming and staying boyant they seem to go downhill quickly. What medication did you start them on and did you do the acriflavin bath as well?

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started them on CP at 60mg. I thought he was gonna die but he's been the same way since the 20th. He's still chasing the other Picasso around and twitching at her/him. I'm just confused.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have to give it more time. If i remember correctly you are using non pharmaceutical grade CP right? This could be the issue, but it's also likely that it just needs more time. there are parts of the video that look like he's trying to do the "clownfish shimmy" accepting dominance from the other, then looses his balance and floats a bit.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As good as CP is, it's still a good idea to perform a FW dip + chemical bath beforehand. That clears 80-90% of the parasites so CP can handle the rest.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have to give it more time. If i remember correctly you are using non pharmaceutical grade CP right? This could be the issue, but it's also likely that it just needs more time. there are parts of the video that look like he's trying to do the "clownfish shimmy" accepting dominance from the other, then looses his balance and floats a bit.

I got both pharmaceutical grade and eBay CP now. Both seem to work equally. These are in Pharm grade.

F9E55CBB-0040-4188-89EA-07D00ED67940_zpspzv2f2kl.jpg

@Humblefish I think I'm gonna do a 90 minute Acriflavine bath on them all when I wake up and also do a transfer.

I have 4 Clowns, 1 yellow tang, and 1 damsel.

Shockingly I lost a blue damsel in the beginning. He was rapid breathing and then died by the next morning. I'm not sure what caused his death, but there were no visible symptoms. Could have been another CP overdose or something that's immune to pharm grade 60mg dose of CP. The others are doing ok except for the clown. I did observe some white stringy poop. Started some prazi so I'm good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did two Formalin MS 37% baths 50 minutes each on that one Clown and did one 50 minute bath on the rest of the fish.

Everybody is alive and doing well except for that one clown. He's very faded now. Still has elevated respiratory rate. Not sure what's wrong with him. I suspect Brook and that CP doesn't work on Brook. More testing needed. I need to find some Acriflavine and test it out.

In the bath:

F8061CEE-B29D-410A-8DD0-A2FB30DACC7F_zpsjnke7ha2.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back