Picked up a 525xl. Maybe this is why it was only $500?

mbarber87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, I picked up a secondhand tank from someone and everything works perfectly...except the plumbing.

it looks like she had custom plumbing and instead of separating the main drain and emergency drain, they are connected together.

the main issue at this point (other than not really having an emergency drain) is that no matter what I do, it’s noisy as heck. My guess is because there’s no real way to adjust the main drain to take advantage of the emergency drain and reduce the noise.

i was thinking to extend the main drain (before it connects to emergency drain pipe) and put a gate valve on it and restrict flow to reduce the noise.
Any other ideas??

A16B7859-926B-4209-A1EB-93BC90FE73A8.jpeg

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to have a gate valve and adjust it to the flow rate of your pump so the main drain doesn't suck in air and sound like a flushing toilet. That's about it. The main drain can't be connected to the emergency drain or it will be loud. The main emergency can be connected to secondary emergency drains however, still recommended they both have individual pipes in case the clog is in the pipe and not inlet but not necessary

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P.s you might be able to take out the inserts on the emergency drains inside the overflow and move them to the holes connected together making the single pipe the main drain, the gate valve can be anywhere on that pipe so add it in the end, this may save you tearing up the whole thing

OP
OP
mbarber87

mbarber87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that’s what I figured. I was hoping that I could avoid that but, oh well!

for the money I paid for this tank, I’ll live. Ha
P.s you might be able to take out the inserts on the emergency drains inside the overflow and move them to the holes connected together making the single pipe the main drain, the gate valve can be anywhere on that pipe so add it in the end, this may save you tearing up the whole thing

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy complete Red Sea plumbing kits for your model tank. I thought they were reasonable....considering the market.
Or you could copy it, you need that ball valve on the main to quiet it down.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it where me, I would return it to semi stock plumbing using a gate valve on the drain line. The emergency drain should be a clean shot to the sump.

Take a look at this article to give you some optional ideas on fixing the plumbing.

This website is the best source I found for replacement parts for RS systems. https://www.marineandreef.com/Red_Sea_Reefer_Replacement_Parts_s/1145.htm

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back