Picked up aquarium, got a bunch of quipment thrown in. Can any of it be used?

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I got an aquarium, sump and stand yesterday (will post up separate thread about it and related questions) and got a bunch of equipment thrown in. Tank is 4x2x2. Thing is, I have no idea if any of it is useful, or if I should try to sell it for dirt cheap, or just dispose of it. Would be great to get some feedback.

Skimmer 1: Remora Aqua C
IMG_20180917_101021.jpg
IMG_20180917_100959.jpg

Skimmer 2: Aquarium Systems SeaClone 150
IMG_20180917_101106.jpg
IMG_20180917_101114.jpg

Pump 1: Holin HL-1000F (will most likely use this one to pump water out after I am done with leak testing it) Any other uses though?
IMG_20180917_101151.jpg
IMG_20180917_101140.jpg

Pump 2: Danner Model 3 (this one looks to go with SeacClone 150 skimmer
IMG_20180917_101312.jpg
IMG_20180917_101245.jpg

Pump 3 and 4: Rio + 2500 and Rio 2500
IMG_20180917_101402.jpg

IMG_20180917_101339.jpg

Thanks for the help!

ArsenalFish42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not familiar with this equipment, but just by the looks of it, I would go through a thorough cleaning with it before putting in a tank. But other than that, try looking for part numbers on them, and try searching for that product to get some possible reviews on it? Other people may know how they function. But I do not, sorry! good luck!

OP
OP
cvrle1

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not familiar with this equipment, but just by the looks of it, I would go through a thorough cleaning with it before putting in a tank. But other than that, try looking for part numbers on them, and try searching for that product to get some possible reviews on it? Other people may know how they function. But I do not, sorry! good luck!

Thanks for feedback. I already googled it all last night once I got home, and by the sounds of it, pumps are all low quality. Skimmers I cant use, as they are too small for this size of tank I think. Previous person had both skimmers in the sump working at the same time, which I would rather not do.

What I was hoping to get is some ideas if I should even attempt to re-purpose pumps for anything else, sell them or just toss them. Same with skimmers really.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all of the equipment a distilled white vinegar/tapwater mix to run for a few days to clean/kill any nasties would be a must. Then rinse out really good and wipe down completely and let dry for 24 hours (this will ensure that any residual chlorine gas in the tap evaporates).

KJa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like arsenalfish said clean it thoroughly. If you havent tested to see if the water pumps work, throw it in some vinegar and water. Let it sit for a couple of minutes and turn it on to see if it starts pumping. Really a vinegar bath would be my first step for all the equipment. Nothing to lose, since you got the equipment with the tank. If nothing else you can use the equipment for now or use it on another tank project.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Danner pumps. Been in the hobby for 10 years and still have my first setup. In it is a Danner Mag5 and it is still running, 10 years later. Only changed the impeller once during that time.

As has already been mentioned, a thorough cleaning with distilled vinegar is in order.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If not contaminated such as using in a system treated with copper, the Danner Utility pump would be good for mixing saltwater in buckets.

The skimmers are HOB older units but it doesn't make them useless unless the pumps do not work. Someone with no sump could maybe use them.

They would be good to utilize if you ever wanted to cure some rock in some applications.

+1 on cleaning in a mix of distilled vinegar & RODI Fresh. You could also test the skimmers in the same solution as the vinegar in the water will produce foam to see how well the skimmers work.

APC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Danner pump is a work horse, definitely worth cleaning and keeping. The Rio pumps are bad - back in the day I believe they were tied to fires. The Sea Clone Skimmer (Aquarium Systems on the lid) is the worst piece of aquarium equipment I have ever owned - I had it on my first SW tank. I am a pretty chill person, and I hated it so much I actually smashed it with a hammer the day I replaced it. (impossible to dial in, overly sensitive to water levels, easily clogged, impossible to clean, the list goes on and on.....). I have heard that Aqua C Remora's are pretty good - no personal experience though.

OP
OP
cvrle1

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again everyone. I ran all the pumps through vinegar/water solution last night for 4 hours, and they came out looking 100x better. Now they are nice and clean, and working as they should. Will clean up Remora C, as several folks mentioned they are great skimmers for smaller systems, and will see if anyone locally needs one. Or I may just keep it for when curing dead rock or something like that.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back