Picking lights for my new tank

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that there is no “best” light for a reef tank. But before I click “buy” I want to solicit some opinion here. I’m leaning toward AI as I have a hydra 26 on my current tank.

I was wondering if I could use 2 Hydra 32 or would I need 2 Hydra 64”? They are so expensive, while I don’t want to be cheap, I want to make sure that there aren’t other options that I should be considering.

Attached is my new “used” tank. I plan on having a mix of coral over time LPS/Soft/SPS

The dimensions

60” wide
28” deep/tall
29” From front to back at the widest point

Thanks!

24C446B9-99F5-4296-BBC6-8AFD56AD3492.jpeg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
60" I would definitely go with more pucks.

To save on cash you could go with 4 ai prime HD would work well separated for maximum spread.

The depth is were they will lack...you could also go with 2 32's.

Or you could run a hybrid with 2 prime HDs or 32s.

So many options!

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think I could use 2 32’s? Or 4 Prime pucks? Just trying to clarify. That would be great news as I thought I might need 2 64’s

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind if I throw out another option for you. You could go with one single LED fixture from Reef Breeders for under $800. I have an AI PrimeHD over a 25 gallon tank that I have RFA'd and BTA's in. They reach more for the light under the AI Prime then do under the Reef Breeders. The intensity and color spectrum is pretty much the same as well.

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with a 6 bulb t5. They grow SPS and have great coverage and are cheap. Do most have an electronic controlable timer and intensity adjuster? no. But, they work and work well for all coral.
They grow mine like crazy and I only have to change bulbs once a year...

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind if I throw out another option for you. You could go with one single LED fixture from Reef Breeders for under $800. I have an AI PrimeHD over a 25 gallon tank that I have RFA'd and BTA's in. They reach more for the light under the AI Prime then do under the Reef Breeders. The intensity and color spectrum is pretty much the same as well.

I like that. And I sure like the price. One thing I really like about that AI lights is the easy schedule programming. How hard is it to set up a good consistent schedule?

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that. And I sure like the price. One thing I really like about that AI lights is the easy schedule programming. How hard is it to set up a good consistent schedule?
It is Bluetooth and comes with it's own remote control. It takes a minute to setup all the channels, but once you do it is awesome. I am always available if you have any questions. I put my schedule into a spreadsheet and keep track of it that way as well.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You think I could use 2 32’s? Or 4 Prime pucks? Just trying to clarify. That would be great news as I thought I might need 2 64’s
Yes most definitely either of those options will work.

I have heard good things of the V2 also. It would be worth it if that style fits what your going for.

With any of the NEWER LED lights they will work. It really comes down to which ones you like and for how much.

The 64s are great lights but with 4 pucks on 1 tray they only spread so far. They shine in power and depth. But if you dont need 500 PAR on the sand bed then the Primes hds will work and give you better overall spread as you can spread each puck out.

I have never used the V2S but I would try them out if I liked the long fixture look!

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as a curved tank owner I'll tell you it's not gonna be easy to light the tank evenly. I wound up having 2 hydra 52s angled towards the front in the center. And the back of the tank was very dark. So I wound up adding 2 26s behind them to light the rest of the tank. I run a predominantly sps mixed reef so even par is important to me... on both my 52s I lost a color channel (white on one and royal on the other) so I needed new lights.. I decided to try ecotech xr30(non pro, but now wish I went pro) and all I can say is wow. Those 2 lights put out more light than the 4 lights I had previously. I mounted them forward like I had the hydra 52 but angled the mount to aim the light towards the rear. And since the optical on the xr30 protrude out of the fixture I believe I got a better spread and angle than the 52s which have a flat lens.

15793605694601317218625492819432.jpg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So as a curved tank owner I'll tell you it's not gonna be easy to light the tank evenly. I wound up having 2 hydra 52s angled towards the front in the center. And the back of the tank was very dark. So I wound up adding 2 26s behind them to light the rest of the tank. I run a predominantly sps mixed reef so even par is important to me... on both my 52s I lost a color channel (white on one and royal on the other) so I needed new lights.. I decided to try ecotech xr30(non pro, but now wish I went pro) and all I can say is wow. Those 2 lights put out more light than the 4 lights I had previously. I mounted them forward like I had the hydra 52 but angled the mount to aim the light towards the rear. And since the optical on the xr30 protrude out of the fixture I believe I got a better spread and angle than the 52s which have a flat lens.

Thank you for this!!

Real life info is always best vs. People guessing on tanks we never used.

I was going to mention the radions as well but his budget didnt fit in. BUT I forgot about the NON pro version and that would be a great fit!

I run a hydra 32 on 1 of my tanks and 2 radion 30 pros next to it on another tank and just like you I can see a HUGE difference in the lights.

OP I apologize for not mentioning radion in any early post as I didnt want to guide you towards a more expensive light. I however forgot about the other options radion offered. I do apologize!

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Really great idea!

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really great idea!
You guys are fantastic!

I’m researching the radions. The reason I still lean toward AI is I’m so comfortable with the one I have and the app and using the “pro” schedules.

That being said do you think I could use 1 52 with 2 pucks?

I’m thinking the 52 kind of front middle, and the 2 pucks on each side closer to the back.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You guys are fantastic!

I’m researching the radions. The reason I still lean toward AI is I’m so comfortable with the one I have and the app and using the “pro” schedules.

That being said do you think I could use 1 52 with 2 pucks?

I’m thinking the 52 kind of front middle, and the 2 pucks on each side closer to the back.
I don't see what not, that should technically give you the spread for the curve....@motortrendz

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Two .. . . Ai Primes or Ai Hydra 26

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with a 6 bulb t5. They grow SPS and have great coverage and are cheap. Do most have an electronic controlable timer and intensity adjuster? no. But, they work and work well for all coral.
They grow mine like crazy and I only have to change bulbs once a year...
What are you using and where did you get it?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back