Picking the right Mantis

Kinslayer1965

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Just signed up as a member but have been lurking here in the mantis forum for some time. I am looking for some opinions on which type of mantis to get. I have been putting my pieces parts together for my tank and want some feed back.

20 gallon tank
2 Seachem Tidal 55 (want to be able to change out media on an alternating basis to lessen impact on tank inhabitants)
2" PVC tunnel with three openings
20-30 lbs live rock
2" bed of live sand and rubble (lots of rubble)
Lighting is still undecided and would appreciate any advice from members

I am hoping for either a G. Smithii or Chiragra.

I want to load the tank up with small hermits and snails so the chosen one can forage as naturally as possible.

Thanks in advance. Love the forum!

CR

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, welcome to Reef2Reef! :D

I think either of those mantis shrimp would be a good fit for a tank of that size. Are you getting a glass or acrylic aquarium?

Personally the Smith's Mantis looks better to me but the pattern on the Tiger mantis looks neat as well.

OP
OP
Kinslayer1965

Kinslayer1965

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a glass aquarium but will put either a layer of acrylic or eggcrate on the bottom.

Any thoughts on the lighting? I have set myself a budget of $150.00 for the lighting and there seems to be endless choices out there to choose from.

When my tank is complete and has cycled and my LFS guru has given the ok on my water quality I am going to have him start the search for my mantis.

I think I want to stay in the smasher club vs spearer.

CR

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a glass aquarium but will put either a layer of acrylic or eggcrate on the bottom.

Any thoughts on the lighting? I have set myself a budget of $150.00 for the lighting and there seems to be endless choices out there to choose from.

When my tank is complete and has cycled and my LFS guru has given the ok on my water quality I am going to have him start the search for my mantis.

I think I want to stay in the smasher club vs spearer.

CR
You won't need much if you're not keeping corals. A strip LED will suffice and you can find those for as low as $30 on Amazon/Ebay, I believe. If you want name brand, I would go with Current USA, Fluval, or Marineland.

OP
OP
Kinslayer1965

Kinslayer1965

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to make the tank as mantis specific as possible. To do that I want a light that I can bump up the blue and tone down the white. I have been looking at the Current USA products and they are pretty nice.

At some point in the future I might consider some corals in the tank once the mantis was adjusted to his surroundings and doing well.

CR

OP
OP
Kinslayer1965

Kinslayer1965

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180315_171735.jpg

Moving forward (slowly :-( ) Picking up my rock this evening. Going to use a glue I found at my LFS to build a rock structure to hide the pvc burrow. LFS guru talked me out of the second HOB said it was overkill and not needed. Might still do it as I really like the idea of alternate filter changing.

Leaning toward the Current USA LED light. Like the ability to customize the lighting intensity and scheduling. LFS guru also mentioned that it has a red light that I can have on at night for viewing and the red does not affect the mantis at all. Hope he is right that would be a nice touch.

Will update as I move along. Thanks for all the replies!

CR

OP
OP
Kinslayer1965

Kinslayer1965

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about that design but my thinking was that this arrangement gives the future mantis a 15"plus 2" cave with three openings in an aquarium that is only 30". I think that will work and I like that all three openings face the front so I can see him wherever he pops out.

Thanks for your input though! I didn't know what a crinoid was so I googled. Awesome!

CR

TheMantisman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PVC diameter is to large for small smasher species, you need to think tighter rather than looser with Mantis Shrimp PVC burrows, they prefer tight and cramped over spacious and roomy.

All my small smashers I give 32mm Dia PVC.

I'd also advise as someone else stated, go for a long burrow, the problem with what you have here is that there won't be a place of ABSOLUTE darkness for the mantis inside the burrow, it's all quite open and exposed they need that ABSOLUTE darkness space somewhere inside the burrow to give them optimal housing and in return maximum entertainment.

Otherwise they're just paranoid.

OP
OP
Kinslayer1965

Kinslayer1965

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a burrow set up with 1 1/2" pvc similar to the 2" on in the picture. I will put the 1 1/2" back in and extend the arms a bit more to give it more of a hiding place.

Got the bottom of the tank covered with a sheet of acrylic and my caribsea rock should be in my LFS on wed. Things are coming together.

Really leaning towards a Kessil A80 for my little mantis tank. I love the simplicity.

CR

TheMantisman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a burrow set up with 1 1/2" pvc similar to the 2" on in the picture. I will put the 1 1/2" back in and extend the arms a bit more to give it more of a hiding place.

Got the bottom of the tank covered with a sheet of acrylic and my caribsea rock should be in my LFS on wed. Things are coming together.

Really leaning towards a Kessil A80 for my little mantis tank. I love the simplicity.

CR
Mantis Shrimp don't like bright light and don't NEED any light.

I use to keep my mantis only display tanks in ABSOLUTE darkness unless I was doing something (working/photographing/filming) other than that complete darkness (works wonders for any potential algae to and the electricity bill).

I wouldn't recommend a peacock for your tank they have certain special needs for longevity but I do use 50mm PVC for peacocks (depending on the animals physical size).

OP
OP
Kinslayer1965

Kinslayer1965

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they don't need light but if you cant see the litter buggers every once in a while what is the point.;) I like the kessil because I can set the color as blue as I want and the intensity can be as low as I want even down to 2% if I so desire. If I want to increase the light just a bit for viewing or taking pictures it is as easy as turning a knob. The programming for timing and intensity looks to be very user friendly.

I am going back to my 1 1/2" pvc and extending it a bit for a bit more hiding space.

CR

OP
OP
Kinslayer1965

Kinslayer1965

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One step closer. Will add a few pieces of live rock and live sand when I am ready to fill the tank.

CR

20180321_171316.jpg

OP
OP
Kinslayer1965

Kinslayer1965

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take a smithii over a chiragra any day. Chiragras can be reclusive and are more prone to shell rot.

I agree but it appears from all my research that they are rather hard to find. I also like the N. Wennerae and they seem to be easier to find. I will have my LFS start searching once the tank is up and running. I want to make sure the tank is stable and a healthy environment for my mantis. I have been bouncing this project around in my head for six months or so and don't want to get in a hurry and cut corners.

CR

OP
OP
Kinslayer1965

Kinslayer1965

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been some changes to my mantis plan. Never could convince myself I was happy with the 20 gallon tank. So i scrapped the 20 and purchased a 40 gallon breeder.
40 pounds of live sand, 25 pounds base rock, 10 pounds live rock and 10 pounds of live rock rubble and chunks later my tank is full of water and looking better every second.
Finally decided on a 36" Current USA LED strip. Should be in my LFS on Wed.
2" PVC burrow 24" long with three opening.
I also decided to go back to dual Seachem Tidal 55 filters.
I think this will be an awesome set up for my future smasher.
20180519_155656.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back