Picking up fresh cut frags -rr orange passion, pink floyd etc..

Flynsqwirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna go pick up some pink floyd, RR op, and some other miscellaneous frags today that are still on colony's. Will this be ok since it's about 15 min from my house or will the stress from cutting and going from t5 to LEDs and different tank parameters be an issue. Should I see if he will hold them for me?

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna go pick up some pink floyd, RR op, and some other miscellaneous frags today that are still on colony's. Will this be ok since it's about 15 min from my house or will the stress from cutting and going from t5 to LEDs and different tank parameters be an issue. Should I see if he will hold them for me?

Nothing wrong with fresh cuts, providing they’re more than 1 inch.

OP
OP
Flynsqwirl

Flynsqwirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree. I’ve had just as good or better survival with fresh cuts vs pre-cut.
Good just wasnt sure if the shock of a different tank and lights and cutting would matter much

hafer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually prefer fresh cuts! Plugs getting cut off regardless! Just start it low in the tank. Might lose some color initially.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller frags seem to not be as resilient and sometimes decide to encrust forever before branching out.

Sometimes they never do grow on the terminal end again. Not guaranteed thatvwill happen, but that seems to be a pattern I’ve seen.

Coral magazine put out a “scientific“ article about it back in 2011. there is a thread here on R2R about it.

Before anyone says “yah, but I’ve grown a colony from a single polyp” , I have too, but success is less likely than failure and if you are paying I would like better odds.

An inch isn’t a magic number but anything less than 3/4 inch I would pass on, unless it’s a friend hooking you up for a bargain or free.

OP
OP
Flynsqwirl

Flynsqwirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually prefer fresh cuts! Plugs getting cut off regardless! Just start it low in the tank. Might lose some color initially.
I think I have higher par than the guy does with t 5
Smaller frags seem to not be as resilient and sometimes decide to encrust forever before branching out.

Sometimes they never do grow on the terminal end again. Not guaranteed thatvwill happen, but that seems to be a pattern I’ve seen.

Coral magazine put out a “scientific“ article about it back in 2011. there is a thread here on R2R about it.

Before anyone says “yah, but I’ve grown a colony from a single polyp” , I have too, but success is less likely than failure and if you are paying I would like better odds.

An inch isn’t a magic number but anything less than 3/4 inch I would pass on.

OP
OP
Flynsqwirl

Flynsqwirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

An inch isn’t a magic number but anything less than 3/4 inch I would pass on.
Ok, I'm sure I can get 3/4" frags ,his OP is on the smaller side so that's why I said that. I did side work for him for coral trade and wanted his display tank sps he has. Perks of being a electrician.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light quality will matter more than light amount - moving from T5 to LED can be stressful for any coral. Anything that is light related would probably equally apply to fresh cuts as well as encrusted/healed frags.

OP
OP
Flynsqwirl

Flynsqwirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light quality will matter more than light amount - moving from T5 to LED can be stressful for any coral. Anything that is light related would probably equally apply to fresh cuts as well as encrusted/healed frags.
So fresh cuts wont matter than?

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would generally agree on this, especially if the coral is tank grown.

My WD came a little under 1/2" fresh cut from LED going to T5 and is doing great.

I could see the reluctance though as some of those are high dollar pieces. My seller guaranteed his frags for two weeks.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with most of the comments here. Fresh cut isn't an issue usually unless it's a tiny nub. The bigger the frag the better chance you have with surviving.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 75 37.7%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back