Picking up the pieces: Have you used acrylic cement with your reef?

Have you used Weld-on acrylic cement or comparable product with your reef?

• Yes, for equipment repair

Votes: 44 22.0%
  • Yes, for aquarium repair

Votes: 21 10.5%
  • Yes, for aquarium assembly

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • I have used Weld-on cement, but not for reef-related items

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • No, I have never used Weld-on

Votes: 115 57.5%
  • Other

Votes: 11 5.5%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Watching the skimmer cup lid flying through the air as it slipped out of my hands - I still remember the feeling. I knew it wasn’t going to end well even before it hit the ground and ended up in a few pieces. Although I had never tried to repair acrylic, I bought some Weld-on and was able to put the pieces back together. Although you can definitely see the crack if you take a look, the now-repaired Reef Octopus skimmer continues to work just as well as it did before. Have you ever used Weld-on acrylic cement or similar product? What did you use it for? Please share your experience, tips, and any related stories in the discussion thread.

PeaceRiver_SkimmerLid.jpg

Reef Octopus skimmer lid 3 years after repair; Photo by @Peace River

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I used Weld-on products (3,4,16) for many acrylic items such as frag racks, price plugs, DIY reactors, etc. Important key to no issues with the tank is to let it fully cure (~24hrs). I will then soak the items in RODI water for an additional 24hr before putting into the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I typically use Marine epoxy or Gel superglue. The epoxy aesthetically looks cleaner than the gel glue

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used it to make a sump. Plan on using it more in the future for other acrylic projects as many have stated.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my first chiller for my seahorses leaked at the intake and output. It was a very expensive piece of equipment but I wasn't getting satisfaction from the manufacturer and I needed it pronto. So, I bought some JB water weld. That solved it. I have since used it on other repairs as well.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Watching the skimmer cup lid flying through the air as it slipped out of my hands - I still remember the feeling. I knew it wasn’t going to end well even before it hit the ground and ended up in a few pieces. Although I had never tried to repair acrylic, I bought some Weld-on and was able to put the pieces back together. Although you can definitely see the crack if you take a look, the now-repaired Reef Octopus skimmer continues to work just as well as it did before. Have you ever used Weld-on acrylic cement or similar product? What did you use it for? Please share your experience, tips, and any related stories in the discussion thread.

AHHH so that was the question - there should be no problem using weldon to repair plexiglass in this manner. :)

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Weld-on is a great product and like silicon grease and teflon tap its something you should probably have in reserve 'just in case.' Over the years I've made a bunch of stuff with it including a 'dipping tray' so I can pull out a full 24"x30" section of egg crate and dip it all at once. Easy peezey. I will add though, lower viscosity is better and if bonding pieces corner clamps and a second application are a must.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can use it…it’s just never pretty. I did make a frag tank that held water for a few years before I took it down. I tried making a wave box. I made my sump filter sock holders which came out ok.

My skills are so poor and I have no desire to get good enough to make a display tank.

I think every reefer should have some on hand (along with silicone).

Sorry for the bad picture of the filter sock holder.

image.jpg 91E2BCD2-260A-4DB2-833F-A70A3A28FAFA.jpeg

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is what comes in the Avast Marine kits if I remember correctly. I don't remember the brand though.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I can use it…it’s just never pretty. I did make a frag tank that held water for a few years before I took it down. I tried making a wave box. I made my sump filter sock holders which came out ok.

My skills are so poor and I have no desire to get good enough to make a display tank.

I think every reefer should have some on hand (along with silicone).

Sorry for the bad picture of the filter sock holder.

image.jpg 91E2BCD2-260A-4DB2-833F-A70A3A28FAFA.jpeg

As guy that's glued some pretty questionable pieces of acrylic together that looks pretty clean. What type of bit did you use for the hole? Diamond or is there a material specific one?

StewL6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used it for building sump baffles and acrylic DIY dosing containers. Also dosing line connectors since I use a lot of X1 doser’s with the 3mm line. I think one tube will last a very long time

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gluing it back together would be the least of your worries. I bet it made a great mess and delightful smell.
Personally, I use PVC cement just because I have it on hand for my sprinkler system. Works great on acryllics. I've made all kinds of things for my DT using it.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As guy that's glued some pretty questionable pieces of acrylic together that looks pretty clean. What type of bit did you use for the hole? Diamond or is there a material specific one?
I just used a general purpose hole saw kit I bought off Amazon for $40 but they’re as cheap as $30. It came with the drill bit + hole saws from 3/4 to 2.5 inches. I went with the “xdovet bi-metal hole saw kit” and I’ve used it on wood and plastic with great success. The larger holes for the 7” filter socks I bought a similar (but much larger) hole saw from Amazon for that specific purpose.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gluing it back together would be the least of your worries. I bet it made a great mess and delightful smell.
Personally, I use PVC cement just because I have it on hand for my sprinkler system. Works great on acryllics. I've made all kinds of things for my DT using it.
Didn’t know that. Good info. Acrylic weld/glue welds. Does PVC cement do the same on acrylic? (Bond vs meld)

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Weld-on for building the following for my build. Algea scrubber, fish trap and my vial/syringe organizer

Attachments

• 20200402_180410.jpg
    20200402_180410.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190713_201245.jpg
    20190713_201245.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190713_201228.jpg
    20190713_201228.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20190606_155839.jpg
    20190606_155839.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 31
  • 20190606_155817.jpg
    20190606_155817.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 34

mavl666

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I bought an Elos skimmer with a piece broken from cup. Weldon16 fixed it well. No leaks in 3 years.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very timely topic, the mounting bracket on my skimmer let go from the base a few days ago. The skimmer is being held together by wishes right now but I need to actually put it back together properly. I was just going to use superglue but is Weld-on what I really should be using and the best stuff for the job?

Back