Pics of sps. Daylight or blue light preferred?

Daylight or actinic preferred?

• Total voters

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to post daily pics in my thread. I’ve been thinking about switching up the way I post pics. As of now I post pics with all my bulbs on to make the corals look natural. I’ve been thinking about going with actinic pics as it seems more people enjoy those.
I’m not sure if that’s the general consensus but it seems when I post a random actinic pic it gets more “likes”.

What type of pics do you prefer when it comes to sps?

There is a poll at the top.

x2uranium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not going to lie... I like daylight pics.. then you can really see what the coral truly looks like.. again

I do like actinic look of a lot of corals but I prefer daylights so you can really get an idea of how colorful the corals are.. I have some that look amazing under whites / crappy under blue. Vise versa.

x2uranium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed what granny said.. I just realistically like them more when I am buying a coral so I don’t get scammed lol.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer daylight since it's a more realistic photo to what it would look like in our tank. Not that we can achieve the same growth and color as you do!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daylight for the win! Daylight or bulb photos for me. @bubbaque In general I like photos that represent corals closer to how you would see them in nature- not bathed in actinics with orange filters.

I think I am pretty good at getting that- just being natural. Sometimes the photos look a bit on the dramatic side when I white balance it, but usually I think they are representative. I primarily use my iPhone for photos.

When I post photos, I think "Would I be happy if I bought a coral that looks like that and then looked at it during my regular daylight schedule?" "Is this representative of what I see?"

Another good strategy is just taking a photo from the side panel. How much does that photo from the side look like your topdown?

Here are some of my ambient lighting photos- to me, the most natural looking and magical time for a tank:

RlOW14r.jpg

wkYLiAp.jpg

And then with bulbs:

YmLBXIT.jpg

Qf0gwWX.jpg

dXv58sE.jpg

dXu8e8n.jpg

7mGXb7T.jpg

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to see both, but if I'm picking one it's definitely daylight.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I do not mind to see an actinic tank, I prefer to see photos of coral in a daylight setting.

I guess that is what I see all the time when watching my own tank, while actinic is only in the last hour of ramping down the LED.

Anyway @bubbaque , what ever type of coral photo you post, I keep on ;Drool;Drool;Drool

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 daylight, but then again your “daylight” runs on the bluer side of things. My vote is to keep doing what you’re doing. Everyone enjoys your phots
My tank is for sure on the bluer side. On my radion tank the AB+ scdhule I run says it's 18.5k + plus I add my blue t5 bulbs.

20K daylight; you can see fluorescent colors still, but blues, purples and pastels don't get washed out like they do under actinics.
Thats where I try to run my tank. You get a little of both worlds.

When it comes to actinic pics I feel the issue is those darn orange filters. Those orange filters change how a coral looks dramatically.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a “Both” choice. However, if the point is to force us to pick I pick Daylight. I figure everything pretty much looks stellar under Actinic, so Daylight is the real test.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back