##### Picture Entry: BC BLOOD BANK GROW-OUT CONTEST #####

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

acananoreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what the problem is. I can see it when I click on the link. I attached a .pdf version.

My guess is was likely lighting/flow. Temp is fairly stable in the 77-79 range. I don't think it's stray voltage, but maybe. The tank is plugged into an outlet that is further down the line from a GFCI, so I figured it would have tripped. I don't know a lot about electrical stuff, so that could be wrong. What would I need to get to check that?
A multimeter stick the ground probe to something grounded and the other probe in the water. If the needle moves you have stray voltage. Rather it's actually killing stuff or not :shrug:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what the problem is. I can see it when I click on the link. I attached a .pdf version.

My guess is was likely lighting/flow. Temp is fairly stable in the 77-79 range. I don't think it's stray voltage, but maybe. The tank is plugged into an outlet that is further down the line from a GFCI, so I figured it would have tripped. I don't know a lot about electrical stuff, so that could be wrong. What would I need to get to check that?
If it's further down on the same circuit , it is a protected outlet.
Make sure you are on ac 120v on the multimeter. On a 3 prong outlet, stick the black probe in the 3rd, round hole and the red in the water. If you see voltage there is a problem. Then you would have to unplug things one at a time until there is no more voltage.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's further down on the same circuit , it is a protected outlet.
Make sure you are on ac 120v on the multimeter. On a 3 prong outlet, stick the black probe in the 3rd, round hole and the red in the water. If you see voltage there is a problem. Then you would have to unplug things one at a time until there is no more voltage.
Does it have to be the wall outlet ground or can it be in the ground of a power strip/extension cord outlet?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have to be the wall outlet ground or can it be in the ground of a power strip/extension cord outlet?
As long as the power strip your using has the ground probe still connected.
Edit, some people like to break them off. Just have to make sure you are connecting to ground some way and it's complete, not broken.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the power strip your using has the ground probe still connected.
Edit, some people like to break them off. Just have to make sure you are connecting to ground some way and it's complete, not broken.
They do. I've honestly never heard of people doing that. Thanks to both you and @acananoreefer for the help!

Tompickles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
October entry @lynn.reef.nerd, @Reefing102, @BranchingHammer

started dosing nitrates and phosphates about a week ago to get my numbers detectable and corals are loving it!
E4E6FCEC-529F-4517-B925-9AACF7F50A34.jpeg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back