##### Picture Entry: BC BLOOD BANK GROW-OUT CONTEST #####

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna go in my little fluval evo 13.5. My 40B isn't stable enough to support SPS yet.

Going in my 4 month old 40 breeder.

I'm still trying to balance nutrients, but my SPS is encrusting so I figure it's worth a shot.

Going in my 65 under 10k halides about 6 inches from the surface. Just gotta get my 65 cleaned up (been slacking a bit)

We want tank pics!
imagination jerking off GIF

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what happened that you didn’t get to actually compete in the competition!? With you running it, shouldn’t you get to enjoy participating in it too!
I'll get him a piece of mine once it's fraggable. Should only be a month or so. :p

OP
OP
lynn.reef.nerd

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Y'all are too nice. Yeah a lot of folks didn't get in on time so I decided to just join the second group and enjoy the grow-out pictures on here. I was going to order a piece of it off Adam either ways as a non-competing member. As long as I can be in one, I'm pretty happy :)

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Adam is letting the corals heal, I figured it would be a good idea to remind everyone to put an alarm on their calendars/phones every month near the end of the month (not the last day). It'll take 5-10 minutes to do it for the entire year. I don't want anyone to be disqualified for not getting their photos in on time and I'd love to avoid the brief disaster that happened with the last contest. As we know, we don't always get notifications when people post, so putting reminders in the thread is not a guarantee and is also not the responsibility of the contest organizer. I'm already having a lot of fun and we haven't even received the coral yet.

Happy Reefing, ya'll. :cool:

MiniGbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lynn.reef.nerd is definitely getting a frag! You don't decide to organize one of these and deal with all the riff raff, and get bumped. I think we all can agree that you're in if you want to me my friend.
Y'all are too nice. Yeah a lot of folks didn't get in on time so I decided to just join the second group and enjoy the grow-out pictures on here. I was going to order a piece of it off Adam either ways as a non-competing member. As long as I can be in one, I'm pretty happy :)
Seems like you should compete along with the rest of us. If there isn’t a 41st frag available I can step aside and participate in a future one. No way you have to do all the work and not enjoy the fun. Though it sounds like Adam may have a frag available for you regardless.

OP
OP
lynn.reef.nerd

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
As Adam is letting the corals heal, I figured it would be a good idea to remind everyone to put an alarm on their calendars/phones every month near the end of the month (not the last day). It'll take 5-10 minutes to do it for the entire year. I don't want anyone to be disqualified for not getting their photos in on time and I'd love to avoid the brief disaster that happened with the last contest. As we know, we don't always get notifications when people post, so putting reminders in the thread is not a guarantee and is also not the responsibility of the contest organizer. I'm already having a lot of fun and we haven't even received the coral yet.

Happy Reefing, ya'll. :cool:
LOL don't be nice! if someone forget, that's one competitor down! :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Special K

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lynn should def be in this contest. Not fair for her to do all this hard work and sit on the sideline because someone didn’t get in on time. We don’t do participation trophies around here. They can join the second one if they want.

MiniGbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not sure if this is allowed or not, but this a general question for Adam to get us started. But I’m mostly interested in what PAR you’ve grown these frags out. I’d ask about flow, but I’m pretty certain you have high flow in your systems.

I typically like to match the PAR of the frag from the original system to a place in my system. Basically I’m trying to reduce stress as much as possible after transport before stressing it again with a later final placement.

also, have you found that a coral grown under your halides will do just fine under LED’s, or do you think it’s better to match the light you grow yours under with ours, or is PAR ultimately fine. Or should we specify/request a frag grown under LED’s or halides (or T5’s) like you have on your site?

Thanks again! And hope this is OK to share.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So not sure if this is allowed or not, but this a general question for Adam to get us started. But I’m mostly interested in what PAR you’ve grown these frags out. I’d ask about flow, but I’m pretty certain you have high flow in your systems.

I typically like to match the PAR of the frag from the original system to a place in my system. Basically I’m trying to reduce stress as much as possible after transport before stressing it again with a later final placement.

also, have you found that a coral grown under your halides will do just fine under LED’s, or do you think it’s better to match the light you grow yours under with ours, or is PAR ultimately fine. Or should we specify/request a frag grown under LED’s or halides (or T5’s) like you have on your site?

Oh totally! I am an open book when it comes to this stuff! I see par at roughly 300-700 with 450 definitely being the average over most. And in general I have not seen any dramatic changes in anything really after being swapped around to different lighting and let me tell you I do it often . Frags and colonies alike get shuffled around pretty regularly. Having said that, frags mayhem response different based on other factor under the same par respectively. I generally say if its working for you then don't make any massive changes to your system in an effort to emulate mine.

Heres a brief write up that hits on this subject a bit.

Anyone else please don't hesitate if you have any questions at all.

And as long as I got you guys, a little update on shipping. I am going to start contracting people around the end of next week to start setting up ship dates. Going to go through my list in order of the orders placed, and try to do it in blocks of 10-15 a day so we can get them all out in or around the same week.

Also, I have been asked a few times now about adding on. It's never too late to add anything at all and save shipping. From individual pieces to battleboxes. If anyone is interested. All the up to the actual ship day, No problem my end at all.

Last edited:

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well....... I'll give everyone a little advice on what I did to win the last contest.
First I knew what kind of acro I was going to receive. A plating acro. I picked a spot in my tank where I thought it would prosper and glued it there as soon as I got it. High light, high flow.
I didn't care about Par or LED over MH. Most lights will grow Acro's just fine.
From there I concentrated on "stability". I never changed much at all, just tested parameters and kept them stabilized. Throughout the whole contest I was battling a GHA issue. I didn't do any major attempts to "fix" it.
I worked around the problem, about 6 months into the contest I just about had the GHA under control. I have no idea what I did to accomplish that fact. By the time the contest was over the GHA was taking over. The first thing I did after the contest was to run flucanozole for about 6 weeks. That frigging worked!! Been GHA free for months now. My corals manged to be fine through it, but growth did slow. Keep it simple and try not to overthink things.

MiniGbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh totally! I am an open book when it comes to this stuff! I see par at roughly 300-700 with 450 definitely being the average over most. And in general I have not seen any dramatic changes in anything really after being swapped around to different lighting and let me tell you I do it often . Frags and colonies alike get shuffled around pretty regularly. Having said that, frags mayhem response different based on other factor under the same par respectively. I generally say if its working for you then don't make any massive changes to your system in an effort to emulate mine.

Heres a brief write up that hits on this subject a bit.

Anyone else please don't hesitate if you have any questions at all.

And as long as I got you guys, a little update on shipping. I am going to start contracting people around the end of next week to start setting up ship dates. Going to go through my list in order of the orders placed, and try to do it in blocks of 10-15 a day so we can get them all out in or around the same week.

Also, I have been asked a few times now about adding on. It's never too late to add anything at all and save shipping. From individual pieces to battleboxes. If anyone is interested. All the up to the actual ship day, No problem my end at all.
Sweet! Thanks for the info. I have a few empty spots left in the tank, ranging in PAR from 350-550, so it sounds like anywhere will work. I just didn’t know if you had a specific area you thought was best for the Blood Bank. And I agree, PAR is definitely not the end all requirement, but I don’t want to blast a frag or starve a frag if I can help it.

Thanks again, and really looking forward to this. It’s such a great way to get some kind of data about growing techniques. Wish there were a way to put together a scientific study somehow; but that might be too much to ask… haha

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back