##### Picture Entry: BC RAINDROP ON ROSES GROW-OUT CONTEST #####

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are parameters?

I've been having some trouble getting my nutrients stable with ramping my lights up. I'm getting some teal colors at the base but my polyps have gone away and the coral seems fat - a thick skin vs thin and transparent.

I've read and keep getting feedback that Millie's are very demanding when it comes to light. Mine are currently sitting anywhere from 350-425 PAR. I have ramped it up to 100% today so I guess the next thing to do is extend lighting period. I went a little faster than I had planned but instead of 7 days, I ramped every 3 days and observed the corals before ramping again. So far everything is doing great. Just need to stabilize nutrients some more. I haven't adjusted for the faster uptake with the lighting increases I guess.

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the oldest frag I have been able to continue growing. It's encrusted the disk and seems to have stopped as it reaches the edge. I am thinking if I put the filler in, maybe it'll be able to encrust more.
Generally, when it stops encrusting you get more upward growth. That’s why you’ll see in some of these competitions some people gluing their frag to a stem or plug upside down.

but you can fill that in with an epoxy like tunze coral gum. I don’t like shooting super glue under water

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can STN start from the tips of the branches? I few of my new SPS are turning white on the tips and it looks like my contest frag has lost tissue on one tip.
I know it's a contest but I am hoping not to lose the frag completely :(

IMG_3120.jpg

STN Can start anywhere on a stick. However new growth can become white aswell. Best way to tell is to hit it with a UV light and see if you have any fluorescence.

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, when it stops encrusting you get more upward growth. That’s why you’ll see in some of these competitions some people gluing their frag to a stem or plug upside down.

but you can fill that in with an epoxy like tunze coral gum. I don’t like shooting super glue under water

Interesting tip. I may have to try it on a frag once I can frag it to the peninsula.

Thanks on the tunze coral gum tip. I got an order coming.

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BranchingHammer
@lynn.reef.nerd
@Reefing102

November Entry.

Notes: much better coloration, encrusting well, good polyp extension most of the day!

AD09D9F4-F9F6-4368-B3A7-DE4DEDD1DABC.jpeg

Another stunner!

Question, when does the coral begin to express the pink and white tip as seen on BC website? I've seen a few pictures of this coral but all seem to be like what you have and not of the pink and white tips.

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another stunner!

Question, when does the coral begin to express the pink and white tip as seen on BC website? I've seen a few pictures of this coral but all seem to be like what you have and not of the pink and white tips.

as it grows i am sure it will morph and become more vivid.

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read and experience acans changing color depending on the light used. Are SPS, Millie's, similar in this regard? Or do they go through stages and eventually will end up at their specified colors?
Lights and also your elements in your tank. Check out reef moonshine method

Ancient Mariner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are parameters?

I've been having some trouble getting my nutrients stable with ramping my lights up. I'm getting some teal colors at the base but my polyps have gone away and the coral seems fat - a thick skin vs thin and transparent.

I've read and keep getting feedback that Millie's are very demanding when it comes to light. Mine are currently sitting anywhere from 350-425 PAR. I have ramped it up to 100% today so I guess the next thing to do is extend lighting period. I went a little faster than I had planned but instead of 7 days, I ramped every 3 days and observed the corals before ramping again. So far everything is doing great. Just need to stabilize nutrients some more. I haven't adjusted for the faster uptake with the lighting increases I guess.
Yes, this thing likes high light and high flow. I plopped mine 10” below a 400 w MH and a reef brite XHO strip immediately with no light or water acclimation. Metal halides are on for 7 hours, XHO strips for 12 hours. It is 12 inches from a Maxspect Gyre 4K going 100% every 30 seconds. It is lightening up and starting to grow and the polyps are out in force.

Last edited:

Elise_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STN Can start anywhere on a stick. However new growth can become white aswell. Best way to tell is to hit it with a UV light and see if you have any fluorescence.
I will have to try my UV torch tomorrow, it seems to glow a little under blues which worries me for sure.

I hope it's not a goner! My other SPS are looking worse tonight too, with more white discoloration at the tips and also what looks like a very light layer of something brown on those tips - maybe cyano? hmm

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My November entry will be in this Friday. Sorry had to run out for a business trip but will have it in.

Last edited:

Ancient Mariner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another stunner!

I get the pink and blues when my 20k halides are on. Under the ReefBrite LED 50/50, not so much.
80220C4C-891C-4FCE-9A2E-8F884917E2B1.jpeg

Last edited:

Enchanted Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! here is my frag entry photo. Currently at the 1 inch mark. It will be going into a 265 g system. Currently place about the midpoint of the aquarium but will move it up as time passes. I clipped the bottom of the frag plug and mounted it on a removable disc I made that allows me to move it around my rock scape as I please.
@lynn.reef.nerd
@Reefing102
@BranchingHammer
I haven’t had much growth except for Some encrusting. It has also started to develop more color.

8FDCC00C-C164-4A32-9450-EEB7BF9AB94D.jpeg @lynn.reef.nerd
@Reefing102
@BranchingHammer

Enchanted Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• DCC9B431-325F-4F92-BFDE-0FA4CA5C0018.jpeg
    DCC9B431-325F-4F92-BFDE-0FA4CA5C0018.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 34

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t had much growth except for Some encrusting. It has also started to develop more color.

8FDCC00C-C164-4A32-9450-EEB7BF9AB94D.jpeg @lynn.reef.nerd
@Reefing102
@BranchingHammer

Yours seem to be showing the pink already. That is really nice!

My inexperience would be freaking out as your frag looks bleached. But you obviously know what you're doing and are not freaking out. What are you doing differently? Why is your so much lighter than the others? And why does it look so healthy even though, with what I've read/told, bleached out is bad?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back