Pinched mantle on new clam, should I be worried about my established ones?

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a new Maxima a week ago. It looked great until it started receding in one area, and I believe it's pinched mantle. The clam still responds quickly to my hand. I proceeded to do a FW dip for half an hour, using a baster to try to get as much water in the clam as I could. After about 30 minutes back into the tank, it opened up again, a good sign of health, I think.

However, I'm afraid that I may have exposed my other established clams to it. If the clams are healthy, will they be able to resist it? I do not want to rip all of my clams out to dip.

Here is a picture of the sick Maxima, area in question is towards the left of the clam:

2017-11-24 16.18.20.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Shigshwa

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. I'll let it live out its days then. I did notice curling, that's what alarmed me. I'll try to get better shots.

It's crazy to think that a week ago, it was happily laying byssal threads, half a dozen of them, I noticed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shigshwa

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you say that in the case of PM, the mantle is still open, yet rolled/pinched up? Does it ever roll to where it looks like mine? It's just weird to me, how it recedes in one area and not overall, because the clams that I've lost before have all receded uniformly.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never experienced one.
Only done a whole bunch of research and seen it at the lfs.

They seem to be exactly that. Pinched, not receded.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a check for them. Either they're really that small, or I'm lucky and didn't notice any.
Same to me! I did my best to look out for those mini monsters on all my clams and snails, If I couldn't see them under magnifying glass then nothing I can do or feel bad about it, I usually use flash light to check on my clams after light out, so what's done is already done we just need to move on :)

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some pics that my wife took so you know what to look for
20171124_2154261.jpg
20171124_215401.jpg
That's awesome and very helpful.
So far I have not seen anything like that, that's why I asked in previous post (might be other thread) about these snail eggs and how long before it hatch if some clams happen got them under it deep scute, I checked everything and then I washed/brushed all its shell, visible external parts, the only thing that seem survive the clean up is Aiptasia but It doesn't bother my clams or my clams care about it present on its shell so I just let them be, and I don't want to cut the clam byssal thread just to clean it again :p

OP
OP
Shigshwa

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to be getting weaker today. I bought an ORA Squamosa from the same store, and that guy has been doing just fine. I suspect that this one may be a wild caught specimen. I feel as though wild caught clams are much more sensitive to things like light shock or something, I may have given it too much light versus what was given to them at the store, they were under T5s towards the edge of the tank.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to be getting weaker today. I bought an ORA Squamosa from the same store, and that guy has been doing just fine. I suspect that this one may be a wild caught specimen. I feel as though wild caught clams are much more sensitive to things like light shock or something, I may have given it too much light versus what was given to them at the store, they were under T5s towards the edge of the tank.
I'm pretty sure It's not a wild caught clam hint all the scute still intact, wild caught one usually loss all the scute and not that small in size, wild caught clams usually bigger than 4 inches and more often around 6 inches. Also, look at the inner side shell top part it's not even shiny so this clam was in unhealthy stage for quite sometimes.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's maricultured. Sometimes they leave them in the swallows around the grow outs systems. The grow out systems are feed by NSW and under the same intense lighting.
Clam are prone to a host of protozoa, in the large grow systems the concentration of pathogens is far lower then within our closed systems. I do not see the typical ruffle along the mantel margins that I have seen with PMD, but I suspect the clam unfortunately will probably wither away.
I love these maxima but I will not purchase them any longer nor would I introduce a new clam to a system with existing clams without QT, hence the reason I have one clam. I would try the charcoal replacement treatment though, with a larger volume of charcoal then you routinely use as long as you already run charcoal because you did not want to strip/polish the water too quickly.

OP
OP
Shigshwa

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's maricultured. Sometimes they leave them in the swallows around the grow outs systems. The grow out systems are feed by NSW and under the same intense lighting.
Clam are prone to a host of protozoa, in the large grow systems the concentration of pathogens is far lower then within our closed systems. I do not see the typical ruffle along the mantel margins that I have seen with PMD, but I suspect the clam unfortunately will probably wither away.
I love these maxima but I will not purchase them any longer nor would I introduce a new clam to a system with existing clams without QT, hence the reason I have one clam. I would try the charcoal replacement treatment though, with a larger volume of charcoal then you routinely use as long as you already run charcoal because you did not want to strip/polish the water too quickly.

Why use carbon? What am I trying to remove out of the water? In preparation of its death?

The closest thing I have is Purigen on hand.

Last edited:

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back