Pinched mantle on new clam, should I be worried about my established ones?

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's coincidence for me, I'm running heavy activated carbon pellets in my filter just because I love the crystal look of the water clarity LOL
I was not aware that carbon would help or lessen its stress and prevent/cure PM and I got loaded with these Kent carbon pellets that I can use for few years before I run out of carbon.

needbiggertanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think back then i read that the gfo releases bioavailablr iron into the water column which is utilized by the supposed parasite that causes PMD. Thats when i removed GFO forever. I like carbon tho, for clarity and removal of any chemical warfare between corals

OP
OP
Shigshwa

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be darned. I decided that if it were actually on its way out, I may as well dip it twice and either save it, or end its misery more quickly. Today, after dip number two, that rolled portion is unrolling, and it's still reactive!

2017-11-26 10.36.46.jpg

OP
OP
Shigshwa

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lost many clams before my streak of success in the last half year, and knowing clams, once they go downhill, there is no amount of waiting it out that will tip them the other way around, it seems. I always had death if I let it be. I'll grab some carbon for use later.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be darned. I decided that if it were actually on its way out, I may as well dip it twice and either save it, or end its misery more quickly. Today, after dip number two, that rolled portion is unrolling, and it's still reactive!

2017-11-26 10.36.46.jpg
That's a beautiful clam! I'm glad it is starting to look better:)

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see some ruffling of the margins in that image, the clam does look significantly better though.

I am a FW baths advocate, but that is obviously controversial. First hand experience that caught early PMD responds better to FW baths and heavy charcoal treatment best done in a QT tank but in a tank that typically runs charcoal no significant change that I noticed to other corals as a result of using higher doses of charcoal. There is a correlation to charcoal use and Lateral Line Disease with regard to Tangs and Angel Fish.

OP
OP
Shigshwa

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I'm reading, I believe that the carbon binds iron from the water, which helps to reduce the activity of the parasites? If it's iron, then I've actually been dosing iron for my chaeto. I'll stop for a while to help the clam heal.

OP
OP
Shigshwa

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2017-12-01 15.59.13.jpg

I think its recovered enough to where I should be out of the danger zone, for now at least. It seems to be moving its foot a lot to relocate, a sign that it doesn't really like sitting on my frag rack. I've moved it to its final location. This is the first clam that I've saved from this state! It doesn't seem to extend its mantle much, but I think this may be characteristic of it, it seems to be the type of Maxima with a very wide shell, so it appears like it doesn't extend much.

OP
OP
Shigshwa

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though people say that they need tons of light, the one I have has been neglected in the corner of the tank at the LFS for years before I decided to take it home. It was spread open as wide as it could go to collect light. It's no wonder why it's still this size after so long, but nonetheless, it still did fine.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though people say that they need tons of light, the one I have has been neglected in the corner of the tank at the LFS for years before I decided to take it home. It was spread open as wide as it could go to collect light. It's no wonder why it's still this size after so long, but nonetheless, it still did fine.
Don't try to judge light with your eyes
Agreed!
Don't judge light with our eyes lol.
If I using my eyes to judge how strong of a light then I'm 1000% sure of the US Marine Orbit system "LOOK" it has same brightness to Kessil 360we, if its just easy like that we would not spend money on high end light system since every light are able to light up our tank no problem.

OP
OP
Shigshwa

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the clam was looking better, I believe I slipped up. I started dosing a bit of iron again, thinking that it'd be okay, only to find that now all of the clams are starting to look bad. Just lost a small derasa and small squamosa, both of them appearing to have tears in their mantles between the siphons. I have not been able to catch any one of my fish nipping the clams! Did a thorough search for pyramid snails, but I'm not finding any.

I've tossed in a fresh bag of carbon and will stop iron altogether. This is a nightmare situation for me. My two derasas were not gaping, but were retracted (as if it were night time for them) for a week now.

OP
OP
Shigshwa

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2017-12-01 15.59.13.jpg

I think its recovered enough to where I should be out of the danger zone, for now at least. It seems to be moving its foot a lot to relocate, a sign that it doesn't really like sitting on my frag rack. I've moved it to its final location. This is the first clam that I've saved from this state! It doesn't seem to extend its mantle much, but I think this may be characteristic of it, it seems to be the type of Maxima with a very wide shell, so it appears like it doesn't extend much.

That derasa is the one that died. Looking at it now, the mantle did look quite bad then, but I thought it wouldn't be as subtle!

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always blast my clam with higher intensity light whenever one is showing curling or receding mantle. You can do the same for PMD. I learned this trick from a friend whom is working at a giant clam hatchling facility.

Freshwater dip is extremely stressful, a clam on its way out will surely perished.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back