Pink and translucent algea

jack_aubry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it does not retract when touch and I have seen my green clown goby swim through it. It is fragile and breaks apart easily but attached to the rock firmly (like rubber, but not a foot).
Weird. If a piece breaks off particularly one with the slight "branches" on the tips it might help to see it out of water. I like it very pretty.

OP
OP
Jberg

Jberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll post a picture tonight when I get home from work.

OP
OP
Jberg

Jberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is like jelly. This is the tip of one tentacle, about half the length of it. The piece is just over an inch long.

IMG_20200225_185708.jpg

IMG_20200225_185641.jpg

jack_aubry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doesn't look algal (doesn't mean it's not) generally algae would have cell walls and I don't see any it would be easier if we could put a slice on a slide. Looks more like a nem maybe related to rock flower because of the "branches", but honestly doesn't look right for that either. And would think a nem would react to having a tip cut off. Have you tried feeding it? I don't know. Hope somebody has an idea I want to know.

jack_aubry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I found this
Trichogloea
it's not quite right but the description is gelatinous slippery slimy purplish red plant that is soft and gooey out of water but strikingly attractive underwater. I think you are right it probably is a red algae

OP
OP
Jberg

Jberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The discription sounds right but the shape is wrong. As it grows it is getting more substantial, less delicate. Once you break a piece off It's hard to hang onto in the water. Any water movement and it drift away. Too jelly like to pinch with your fingers.

OP
OP
Jberg

Jberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could we move this post over to the hitchhiker's forum? Maybe someone over there has some insight on this guy.

Back