Pink Convicts have Black spots.

stunnaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello i have 4 pink convict cichalids who have developed black spots on their bodies;possibly on the fins aswell. After doing research, black ich seemed likely so i got prazipro to treat, i have 60 gal and treated as accordingly, its been 4 days since initial treatment and the black spots seem to have stayed/ possibly more have surfaced. Can anyone help confirm if this indeed is black ich? Or is it some type of bacterial infection? They are all active and eating well, 1 has sunken belly and the others are slowly developing it. I first noticed the black spot on only one a month or 2 back but did not think anything of it (silly).

A4A6EDB7-8586-47C2-9FEC-BFB8062F24FD.jpeg 6C04FE21-B526-4AAF-AA6C-5718594415BE.jpeg EF0B4ABC-B83C-49EE-BB8A-ED815D859895.jpeg C1B15E3D-6CDF-4D1C-90E1-8015C64C971B.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so to my view you have a larger male #1. I see nothing n those pics except you circles. pic 2 looks like a samller male thats bettered
(tail). third one looks like an inured male or juvenile female. last one loos like a healthy female about to lay eggs.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
black ich is a marine turbellarian infection... since this is a marine forum I have to admit I didnt research freshwater disease,

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
oh but ive had a ton of pink convicts

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If is black ich,would prazipro even be the correct medication ? As in saltwater prazi is for flukes isn't it ?
Unsure as only ever medicated one freahwater fish tank over decade ago and went terribly wrong pfft

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would just watch a while longer to confirm its not just pigmentation changes. I see changes of this nature on my lighter colored African Cichlids (dragon blood females particularly) frequently.

Prazipro can be used for freshwater too. Whether it works will depend on the species of fluke, which is about all I know. I have use it for more common varieties of flukes successfully.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello i have 4 pink convict cichalids who have developed black spots on their bodies;possibly on the fins aswell. After doing research, black ich seemed likely so i got prazipro to treat, i have 60 gal and treated as accordingly, its been 4 days since initial treatment and the black spots seem to have stayed/ possibly more have surfaced. Can anyone help confirm if this indeed is black ich? Or is it some type of bacterial infection? They are all active and eating well, 1 has sunken belly and the others are slowly developing it. I first noticed the black spot on only one a month or 2 back but did not think anything of it (silly).

A4A6EDB7-8586-47C2-9FEC-BFB8062F24FD.jpeg 6C04FE21-B526-4AAF-AA6C-5718594415BE.jpeg EF0B4ABC-B83C-49EE-BB8A-ED815D859895.jpeg C1B15E3D-6CDF-4D1C-90E1-8015C64C971B.jpeg
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I’ve never seen true black ich (turbellarians) on freshwater fish. They more often show digenean trematodes that have a cysted stage. Trouble is, that likely isn’t the issue either because those have multiple hosts (like a snail and a bird) so really are not seen except in freshly acquired pond raised fish.
Sorry, I’m not sure what this is…..

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Going back to my days of owning a pet store, I vaguely remember what was referred to as peppering on cichlids and was caused by too much Spirulina in their diet. If you are feeding much of diet containing spirulina, switch to meaty foods or meaty type pellet food.
Another corrective action is to increase water changes and add aquarium salt or epsom salt at one teaspoon per 10 gallons

OP
OP
S

stunnaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If is black ich,would prazipro even be the correct medication ? As in saltwater prazi is for flukes isn't it ?
Unsure as only ever medicated one freahwater fish tank over decade ago and went terribly wrong pfft
I talked to a fish store owner and was told that prazi pro would work on pink convicts with black ich/ they are freshwater fish

OP
OP
S

stunnaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going back to my days of owning a pet store, I vaguely remember what was referred to as peppering on cichlids and was caused by too much Spirulina in their diet. If you are feeding much of diet containing spirulina, switch to meaty foods or meaty type pellet food.
Another corrective action is to increase water changes and add aquarium salt or epsom salt at one teaspoon per 10 gallons
Interesting, i have been feeding them “Sera san nature color flakes” and it does contain spirulina, i do have pellets for them aswell ; these do not contain spirulina, sounds like it might work.. i havent really fed them these as they are used to flakes, but i will try this out

OP
OP
S

stunnaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I’ve never seen true black ich (turbellarians) on freshwater fish. They more often show digenean trematodes that have a cysted stage. Trouble is, that likely isn’t the issue either because those have multiple hosts (like a snail and a bird) so really are not seen except in freshly acquired pond raised fish.

Jay
I got a coconut shell from petsmart that contained a snail in it, obviously snail was removed but could it still contain the black ich? Someone else on this thread told me it may be because they are eating too much spirulina

OP
OP
S

stunnaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your cichalids had these blackspots aswell but disappeared eventually? Someone said it might be cause they are fed food with too much spirulina.. any idea on this?

OP
OP
S

stunnaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhh i talked to a fish store owner and was told that prazipro would work on cichalids
so to my view you have a larger male #1. I see nothing n those pics except you circles. pic 2 looks like a samller male thats bettered
(tail). third one looks like an inured male or juvenile female. last one loos like a healthy female about to l
Interesting, i have been feeding them “Sera san nature color flakes” and it does contain spirulina, i do have pellets for them aswell ; these do not contain spirulina, sounds like it might work.. i havent really fed them these as they are used to flakes, but i will try this out
Also, how long do you recommend i treat the water with the salt?

OP
OP
S

stunnaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh but ive had a ton of pink
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Jay
What about the sunken belly? Usually a telltale sign of parasites no?

OP
OP
S

stunnaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would just watch a while longer to confirm its not just pigmentation changes. I see changes of this nature on my lighter colored African Cichlids (dragon blood females particularly) frequently.

Prazipro can be used for freshwater too. Whether it works will depend on the species of fluke, which is about all I know. I have use it for more common varieties of flukes successfully.
I doubt its pigmentation changes as they are developing sunken belly..

OP
OP
S

stunnaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a coconut shell from petsmart that contained a snail in it, obviously snail was removed but could it still contain the black ich? Someone else on this thread told me it may be because they are eating too much spirulina
And that still wouldnt explain the sunken belly developing

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Your cichalids had these blackspots aswell but disappeared eventually? Someone said it might be cause they are fed food with too much spirulina.. any idea on this?
Likely spirulina

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
And that still wouldnt explain the sunken belly developing
Pellets and flakes not total diet
They need krill, and other meaty foods

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pink convicts are a variant of convict cichlids - which are black and bluish. It does not complete surprise me that there are some blackish areas. Do they change? are the fish flashing, etc? Only one fish has a slightly sunken belly - which can mean a lot of things - most often bullying. in any case this article ay help:

EDIT - BTW - if you have gone through all the other steps they recommend treatment (and one of them is prazipro)

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back