Pink diamond zoa not opening since it got to the tank

jgalina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers, I have an issue with one of my zoas. About 3 weeks ago I got a few zoas from my LFS, they are all thriving except one single head of pink diamond that shares a frag with a gatorade. The gatorade has even started to multiply but the pink diamond only opens at about 10%. All my corals in my tank, SPS, LPS, softs are fine but that one particular zoa in the garden of about 50.
Any ideas?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably wouldn't sweat it. Zoas will typically compete with one other until they establish a balance. It could be that zoa is closed up because something recently or routinely climbs over or touches it.

OP
OP
jgalina

jgalina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably wouldn't sweat it. Zoas will typically compete with one other until they establish a balance. It could be that zoa is closed up because something recently or routinely climbs over or touches it.
Thank you, still not opening, the gatorades next to it are perfectly fine, plus it's developing what would be a secondary mouth on the side, a vesicle of some sort. It's been 3 weeks already, so I'm a bit skeptical at this point.

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 weeks of not opening is certainly reason for concern. What are your parameters? Sometimes certain zoas just don't do well in my tank for reason's unknown. In my tank all my zoa's are doing great, except for both purple hornets and blue hornets. I've had the purple hornets for about a year and a half. And routinely they just all close up and start shrinking, and then slowly come back. This last time though, they've shrank and haven't been coming back. The blue zoas shrank until they eventually melted away. But I have about 15 other types of zoas in my tank that never have any issues.

OP
OP
jgalina

jgalina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 weeks of not opening is certainly reason for concern. What are your parameters? Sometimes certain zoas just don't do well in my tank for reason's unknown. In my tank all my zoa's are doing great, except for both purple hornets and blue hornets. I've had the purple hornets for about a year and a half. And routinely they just all close up and start shrinking, and then slowly come back. This last time though, they've shrank and haven't been coming back. The blue zoas shrank until they eventually melted away. But I have about 15 other types of zoas in my tank that never have any issues.
I think that seems to be the case I added 3 more which have opened since, but still adapting as well as a few others as I got a deal from a friend and added quite a few to what would be my zoa garden, some opened within hours, some are still adapting and not fully opened, but all have shown activity.

OP
OP
jgalina

jgalina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that seems to be the case I added 3 more which have opened since, but still adapting as well as a few others as I got a deal from a friend and added quite a few to what would be my zoa garden, some opened within hours, some are still adapting and not fully opened, but all have shown activity.
Thanks!

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thanks for the reply, that's what I've been reading, a bit of luck I guess.

I hate to admit it but that's the way it goes with some of these strains. Pink diamonds I've tried a few times with no real luck. Sometimes it's just strain dependent... I probably went through 4-5 red hornets before I found a good lineage, same with JF kraks.

Back