Pink Encrusting Gorgonian is it a killer of other corals?

IamJoHo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If pink gorgonian gets near other corals specifically acropora will it kill it? Had some from my first tank setup and since have moved the rock to a new tank. I flipped the rock over so it wasn’t sunny side up but it has found it’s way to light and started spreading in two locations. 3 acro frags died off as it got closer.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen encrusting pink Gorgonion smother other corals depriving them of light. If it was chemical warfare between leathers & SPS then chemicals would be in the bulk water effecting all SPS.

lemonade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely will. I would not worry about chemicals being in the water column, but the Gorgonian will kill and encrust over any SPS that it comes into contact with. Just cover it up with some coral epoxy and glue

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep some of this on its own rock in the sand away from the main rock structure it's safe right? Or will it still manage to spread to the main rock the way xenia puts babies out ?
Its not going to spread nearly as fast a xenia and it won't jump space like xenia. It will only spread to what it can encrust on and I'm sure you have a good idea of the rate of expansion by now.

Msmith2813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not going to spread nearly as fast a xenia and it won't jump space like xenia. It will only spread to what it can encrust on and I'm sure you have a good idea of the rate of expansion by now.
Thank you! I put some on a rock on my sandbed. Just didn't want it to spread up to my main rock like xenia might. Sounds like I'm safe.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back