Pink Goniopora frag is darkening after 5 months

robertpdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pink goniopora that started off great for several months, then began to darken and look sickly. It's not extending its polyps like it was. It does get harassed by hermits and a fire shrimp that likes to comb it for food but other than that I don't see anything else bothering it. I'm looking for advice on what to try next.
  • My water parameters are all in the desired ranges (pH 7.8-8, alk 8.5-9 dkH, 420-450 Ca, 1350 Mg, salinity 1.025, temperature 78F)
  • Tank is a nano 20 gallon Waterbox all-in-one with watersock that gets changed every few days. Sponge media and carbon/bio-balls in media bags.
  • Weekly 10% water changes with RODI/Tropic Marin CP salt, 2-part daily additions to keep alk/Ca at desired levels (ESV B-Ionic).
  • Lighting is a single AI Prime HD set to approximate the AB+ spectrum, 9 hour photosynthetic period.
  • Placement of the frag is in the upper 1/3 and halfway from center to edge, I'm estimating PAR at about 90-140 here.
  • Flow is moderate with a 200 GPH return pump and a Skimz powerhead (running at approximately a 200 GPH level itself).
  • I've done spot feedings of BRS Reef Chili on an every-other-day but no improvement over several weeks.
  • I've done an iodine dip a few times with no noticeable effect. Frag got a CoralRX dip before it went in originally.
  • I started adding daily broadcast Brightwell Coralmino amino acids (started a week ago, too early to tell)
  • The few small fish get Hikari seaweed extreme pellets in the morning and frozen mysis in the evening
I'm considering adding live rotifers and phytoplankton.

Any advice on what to try? I can't recall any changes that may have occurred when it started to darken. I know some of these species can be difficult to keep and maybe it's an unknown nutritional piece that is missing. I don't know if this is from the wild or if it was aquacultured. I purchased it from a local shop, but not sure where they get their frags. I have another goniopora (blue/green) that is thriving.

IMG_4565.jpg

IMG_4564.jpg

IMG_4563.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening @robertpdx

Nice looking frag. Polyps still look healthy. Are you just noticing a small color shift and a little less extension or is it getting significant? Seems like you know what you are doing and how these guys are. I would stop dipping unless you recently put something in and have a specific concern.

I don’t see any harm in some other foods like you mentioned. Maybe we have someone on tonight that can chime in.

OP
OP
robertpdx

robertpdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Mastiffsrule, I appreciate the feedback. I started feeding phyto-feast every other day.

The phyto looks to be having a positive effect but too early to tell for sure.

Polyp extension is improved. The darkened polyps still unchanged but I think they are extending more than previously.

Things are trending positive albeit slowly. I don't want to say it’s fixed until I’m sure.

I will post updates as I figure this out.

Thanks again to you and all the community for your input.

Last edited:

wmo168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how is the flow on the pink goniopora ? too strong or not much flow? try adjusting it so it moves around lightly

mine are right in the middle of my bare bottom and it have a lot of current.

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pink goniopora that started off great for several months, then began to darken and look sickly.

Any advice on what to try? I can't recall any changes that may have occurred when it started to darken.

Darkening colors is not necessarily correlated to being sickly.
Color changes can be normal in a healthy coral due to lighting or nutrient changes from where you purchased it from. I bought a tiny frag of a pink goniopora that changed to purple, and then eventually ended up being purple with yellow tips. But it is healthy and growing. Acropora are notorious for color changes whether it be lightening, darkening or even a complete color change due to the difference in your tank vs. the tank you purchased it from.

What do you mean sickly? Is it extending its polyps less?

For me, polyp extension changes throughout the day. Usually right after lights on the polyps are retracted but in the middle of the day the polyps are in full bloom. In your last photo, did you take the photo at the lighting time as the first photo? (i.e. middle of the day?)

Summarizing: color changes can be a normal, depending on your tank and the difference between nutrient and lighting from your source tank you purchased from. But you need to clarify what you mean by sickly.

OP
OP
robertpdx

robertpdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is hanging on but fully retracted for months. I’m holding out as long as it has color.

I hope to post a success pic eventually. I’ve made it through an algae and cyano outbreak and concentrating on nutrient export. Feeding did not improve things. I am currently trying phos-ban. Local shop says nitrate and phosphate almost undetectable but then how did the algae grow? I know it’s an issue, but it’s not sitting free in the water column to show up on water test.

i’m going to continue my regular weekly 20% water changes, not over feed and try the GFO.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back