Pink/Orange Spots on Octospawn Skeleton

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased this Octospawn and found these odd spots on it's skeleton. You can't see the color very well under the blue light, but they're orange/pink in color. They didn't come off with the coral dip. One of them does seem to be falling off now. Any ideas what this is? Should I scrape them off?

PXL_20210321_005237055.jpg

messytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably sponges, if you want to remove them, scrape them off outside the tank as they can release toxins. Rinse with clean saltwater after.

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they harmful in any way? I haven't had any experience with sponges. Should I throw a bag of carbon into my media basket in case they released toxins?

messytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges if damaged can release stuff into the water column which harms corals, etc. They also compete for resources. Some people like em, some don't. Really up to you. There's a good article on reef builders you can look up about sponges.

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they harmful in any way? I haven't had any experience with sponges. Should I throw a bag of carbon into my media basket in case they released toxins?
i would just leave them personally, ive never heard of tiny amounts of sponges nuking an entire tank, heck, the ones that hitchhike if they die usually means the tank was already crashed

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back