Pink Panther Acro ingested green pigment

Lazy

View Badges
Reaction score
I thought this was kind of cool to share. One of the frags from my pink panther ingested some green pigment. Here is pic of infected frag and mother. Does anyone know what is happening here and will it stay or spread? Would be neat if we could learn how this happens and start manipulating acro colors ourself

3272592A-C92A-4A71-8BD5-ACF2B234BAF7.jpeg
666667C7-F5E6-49B3-83E9-F1D215AB92A7.jpeg

Facebook Profile
TikTok Profile

Shop Lazys Coral House
R2R Vendor Board

Last edited:

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
OP
Lazy

Lazy

View Badges
Reaction score
That is really cool. It looks like the same type of acro as the hung rainbow as well. I wonder if some corals are more apt to accept a GFP and if we could force it to occur

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
I've wondered this as well. These guys usually generate big prices so I imagine some have tried. I'm a molecular biologist and I'm stumped a bit. The only thing that makes sense is a DNA virus that spreads the gfp gene from a GFP containing coral to the Acropora.

OP
Lazy

Lazy

View Badges
Reaction score
I've wondered this as well. These guys usually generate big prices so I imagine some have tried. I'm a molecular biologist and I'm stumped a bit. The only thing that makes sense is a DNA virus that spreads the gfp gene from a GFP containing coral to the Acropora.
i wonder if the act of fragging weakens it causing it to be more susceptible for this to occur

OP
Lazy

Lazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Yes that’s correct. I fragged it a couple weeks ago. Today I went to take WYSIWYG pics of the frag to post for sale on the website. That’s when I noticed the green pigmentation. It was not there when I made the frag a couple weeks ago.

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
There are lots of viruses in the world that are more of a nuisance than dangerous. I think that you're correct and the frag was a bit stressed and more readily infected. DNA viruses can enter the genome of an animal and stay there for the entire lifetime of the animal. (Like chicken pox for us humans)

My guess is there will be no visible disease symptoms and the frag will be just fine. As it expands into a colony it will be very interesting to see which polyps get infected and which don't. Hopefully it acts like the colony I posted earlier.

This is definitely quite cool and glad you posted it!

Do you think buying and selling coral is similar to playing the stock market?

• YES

Votes: 69 20.7%
  • NO

Votes: 176 52.9%
  • Kinda

Votes: 85 25.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 0.9%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors