Pink, Purple, Orange & Yellow....Oh MY! How many of you have them in your tank?

Do you have any anthias fish in your current reef tank?

• YES and they are doing great

Votes: 125 25.0%
  • YES but I am having trouble with their health

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • NO but I used to

Votes: 90 18.0%
  • NO I have never tried them

Votes: 270 53.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 0.6%

• Total voters

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought 4 anthias with a Lamarch angel and a sail fin tang
Lost everything but the sailfin in less than a week in quarantine to
C109DC5F-18C3-4BDC-9E1C-8F132150836D.jpeg

dwfain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ANTHIAS FISH that is! To me the anthias fish is almost synonymous with coral reefs and it only makes sense to add these colorful little beauties to your reef tank! Right!? But are anthias hard to take care of and what challenges come with trying to keep them in your home aquarium? Let's talk about it!

1. Do you have any anthias fish in your current reef tank? If so which ones?

2. What challenges have you faced in keeping anthias in your aquarium?

Tanutwin Thammatanawat's amazing reef featured by @Aquaforest
Tanutwin-Thammatanawat.jpg
I have 2 Lyrtail Anthias and they're a breeze. I feed them the same food that the rest of the tank gets. I feed once a day.

Robert Riccio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Resplendent Anthias, which are on the smaller side for an Anthias. They are very hardy, not picky eaters (at least mine are not), and are always actively swimming around the tank. The more of them, the merrier. :)

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t understand why I see so much stuff online about how hard they are to care for, they are just as easy to take care of than any other fish, I have 3 anthias in my tank and they are thriving, yes they need a “special” diet witch is just frozen food, mine refuse flakes and pellets but readily eat frozen food. I have had no problems with them and I have had them for 4 months so far

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have two squamipinnis and they are doing great. I had three, but the male randomly jumped one night when I left the feeding hatch of my lid off. The other two are bullet proof and one of the remaining females begin to transition within a week.

Zero challenges except for the one jump. Squami's might be easier to keep than other anthias--I really don't know because they are the only two that I have tried, but they are super easy. I feed once or twice a day and they accept everything.

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really love anthias- MUST have screen and ideally have their own tank(I know that’s mostly unlikely) as other fish will spook and chase. Sadly after last anthias jumps out(my fault) after 2 years good health , I have to reassess how to acquire and keep longer term. May need new tank setup :) .Hope.

reefnfun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 lyretail anthias. One jumped out so I replaced her. I find them very healthy and easy to take care of. I only feed once a day. This is the 1st time I have tried them and plan on having them in my tanks from now on.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried lyretails a couple of times but they die off over time. Always plump and active but disappear one by one. I've thought about trying a different type, just never pulled the trigger.

Seascapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ANTHIAS FISH that is! To me the anthias fish is almost synonymous with coral reefs and it only makes sense to add these colorful little beauties to your reef tank! Right!? But are anthias hard to take care of and what challenges come with trying to keep them in your home aquarium? Let's talk about it!

Tanutwin Thammatanawat's amazing reef featured by @Aquaforest
Tanutwin-Thammatanawat.jpg
They hide and die. I guess my tangs don't want them in their tank!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one sunset and he's been doing great. I've had him about six months and he pretty much eats everything I put in the tank. At first he was only eating certain frozen food but seeing all the other fish eat he pretty much eats everything now pellets flakes whatever. I only feed the tank once a day and all the bellies are big and fat.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 lyretails. They get fed with rest of the tank once a day. So far so good

atomos

52 32 52 20 52 6f 63 6b 73
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Lyretail

All good thus far

IMG_4341.JPEG

135zman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - 5 Bimacs in a 135 gallon reef tank. I’ve tried a few other varieties of anthias over the last 6 years, but non survived very long. They either died in shipping, bullied each other, or starved. I bought 3 female Bimacs from Elliot Lim at Marine Collectors a few years ago with one converting to the male. Loved them so much I added 2 more females this year from Jeff D at Fishotel and they blended right in with the original 3. All fat and happy! Everyone’s favorite fish to watch too. If I didn’t have so many other fish already, I would have added more. Quarantined and conditioned anthias are the way to go.

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just one lyretail, so far so good. she would only eat frozen mysis at first, but now eats anything and is growing nicely. she also gets along with everyone in the tank

kagisexton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 lyretails (2 of which are males, not sure why that happened?) and one male squareback. They are extremely easy for me. All get along and they all eat flake, pellet and frozen. In the beginning, I fed them two or three times a day to acclimate. I’ve reduced down to once a day. They are all extremely fat and colorful, easy fish for me.

ReeferGuyAlexK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I have Carberryi Anthias(Nemanthias carberryi) in my reef tank.

2. No challenges at all so far actually. From day 2 after shipment they went for frozens, the following day pellets and a few days later flakes. They get fed 2x a day or well the whole tank gets food 2x a day and the anthias absolutely eat anything i feed! One of my favourite fish ;)
20210902_232822.jpg

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 5 Lyretails 1 male and 4 females. We feed twice a day and they are doing great. I think one of the real difficulty factors is getting healthy fish to start out with. We tried several LFS and had no luck than we found a local store that had a different supplier and we have had really good luck with their fish.

rmay6850

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Evansi and 2 sunburst that I got from TSM. Doing good, but I do feed a lot.
Tried Bimacs but just haven’t had luck with them.

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My tank is technically not a reef although there are a couple of corals in there. I like anthias I currently have 5xLyretails, 30+Ignitus, 4xEvansii, 10x Resplendant, 7x Sunset, 15xBimacs.

The amount of food I need to use because the anthias only feed in the water column I need a robust amount of CUC to keep the substrate clean.
At the moment finding good fish, I have learnt that unless they are in good condition in the LFS you are fighting a losing battle keeping them alive.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back