Pink, spiral shaped growths?

Dlaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are these things? They're on one of my snails and one coral.

20211206_165128.jpg 20211205_141025.jpg

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermatids. Mostly harmless unless they are growing on the coral like in your picture. The mucous web they secrete to catch food can irritate the corals and kill them if given enough time.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, vermetid for sure. They can really spread, but mine eventually reached an equilibrium and I don't have too many of them anymore, so I just leave them.

If you just break off the tube, it'll just grow back. You have to crush the shell to get rid of them.

OP
OP
Dlaw

Dlaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been doing some research, and some suggest using bumblebee snails. Does that work?

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are definitely vermetid snails. As others have indicated, they can spread like wildfire if the conditions are right in the tank. They are filter feeders so broadcast feeding particulate foods will exacerbate their spread.

Once they're in the tank, they're very difficult if not impossible to fully eradicate. Typically you have to manually remove them, making sure you get the base crushed or completely removed. However, they can grow deep in the rockwork where you can't get to them and can also grow inside your plumbing despite the absence of light.

Some people have success using bumblebee snails which supposedly eat them, but your mileage may vary and typically you need a lot of them for it to work. It's certainly worth a try. I have several bumblebees in my tank but they really don't make a dent in the overall vermetid population.

I eventually gave up on trying to remove them as they spread too quickly. To be honest though, they don't really bother my corals. They're just an eyesore as they cover the rockwork and make it look like a pincushion. Occasionally, if I see one nestled in between some zoanthid polyps or on LPS skeletons like your picture I will remove those, but I don't really worry about them otherwise.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back