Pink Square Anthias

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Becks17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with Biota’s captive bred pink square anthias? I’ve just ordered a pair and expect to getting them tomorrow. Just hoping to hear from others that have been raising them.

They will actually be my 8th and 9th fish from Biota (6th species of fish), and to be honest I’ve had mixed success with them.
I’ve had a couple otherwise healthy looking fish disappear after a few months, another blenny that after a few months started to have trouble eating and seemed to have starved, one of my royal grammas came with a jaw deformity and possibly a swim bladder issue (has trouble staying horizontal but otherwise healthy and active), and my yellow tang has always had slight HLLE. That being said, my yellow tang is otherwise healthy, active, and vibrant yellow. It’s grown from a tiny baby to well over 4” in less than a year. It’s definitely my favorite fish. My mandarin has also grown fat and beautiful!

All that is to say that, even though it’s not perfect, I really like and support Biota’s products and what they’re doing with captive breeding. I’m excited to see how the anthias fair, and am also eagerly awaiting for the marine bettas to be back in stock. I waited too long to pull the trigger last time!

Enkopaaisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem with anthias is, after traveling they will get too shy to eat…. Better have them in a hatch box and train they eating before letting them go into the system.

FeliciaM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always loved this species, but couldn't bring myself to keep them because they don't usually eat in captivity (and I have trained wild seahorses, pipefish, sea moths, tilefish, and lionfish to eat frozen) By the time wild square anthias get to your LFS, they're often already too far gone, and nothing can be done.

Last summer, I started working (remotely) for Biota, and they sent me some fish "models." I was expecting the Biota square anthias to be at least a LITTLE challenging, but no. They ate pellets 5 minutes after I cut them out of the bags. They're just as easy as CB clownfish.

My friend Abbey got a trio yesterday, and she kept sending me videos of them eating pellets right after they acclimated. I just laughed and said, "I told you!"

The first pic is from the day mine arrived. They grew shockingly quickly, and the dominant one is almost 4" long now. I can't wait until that one gets male coloration. Watching them successfully compete with my dominant Joculator and big fat Gem for pellets every day never gets old.

Attachments

• anthias (2).jpg
    anthias (2).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 102
  • Anthias.jpg
    Anthias.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Anthias2.jpg
    Anthias2.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Anthias3.jpg
    Anthias3.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 98
OP
OP
Becks17

Becks17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Got them this morning and they’re looking great so far. Just like @FeliciaM said, they basically took to TDO pellets immediately. The video shows them when I first tried feeding them within an hour of acclimation since they were hanging by the surface, but they’ve been eating even more eagerly since then. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Attachments

• 0044D923-9FF1-4F8B-8604-9D841333F133.jpeg
    0044D923-9FF1-4F8B-8604-9D841333F133.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 99
  • C91C772D-586A-44D6-AAE5-AD7744770A43.jpeg
    C91C772D-586A-44D6-AAE5-AD7744770A43.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 97

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know how long it takes to get the pink square? Mine eat like pigs and grew pretty quick.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 that I purchased from Biota last year (7/29/2022). Arrived small but full bodied. Stayed formed up for the most part and ate very well. I have an auto feeder for dry that is a blend of TDO x-small, small, and PE mysis pellet. This is fed hourly between 0830 and 1830. Between 1930 and 2000 I will feed a blend of frozen. LRS Reef, Nano, and brine. The Pink Squares pretty much ate all of it. What I noticed over the course of my first month is that one of the anthias was not growing as fast and was the one pushed around more. Three would hang out on the left side of the display and this little one alone on the right. Well mostly allone because my Yellow Assessor would chill with it every once in a while. When this happened I just made sure to pay attention to what it was eating the most of which was TDO x-small pellet. Once I saw this I made sure it got that and everything is fine. They still sort of keep apart but it isn't out of the harem as they all form up for a few and no relentless harassment.

With regards to transition there is a clear dominate female that does a odd swim dance around the others. It also chases them. No nip or ripped fins. This particular one has deeper purple color on the fins and side of body. There are also some color splotches for lack of a better word on its body. I've never witnessed a change per say but I believe this will become the male. The coloring is different. The chases. The odd swim pattern or dance. Constant checking of them all, etc. It has been consistent and the others seem to be happy with the formation.

Looking at it now I am coming up on a year of ownership and there has been no official transition. I do see a dominate one though. So it will happen. Key to success outside ordering from Biota is to feed and feed frequently. Pay attention to them all to make sure they are eating. The lowest one in the hierarchy may need some attention as it relates to what it is eating and making sure it gets more of that. Once that is done you will be fine.

Here they are upon arrival. My Yellow Assessor (ORA) is checking them out.

Here they are a couple months back.

OP
OP
Becks17

Becks17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are they doing? I'm thinking of ordering a trio of square anthias from Biota
One of them unexpectedly passed away after that post, but the other is swimming strong and still female. It’s the lone anthias in my tank now though and easily 4”.

FeliciaM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are they doing? I'm thinking of ordering a trio of square anthias from Biota
Mine are doing awesome. I got them on September 14, 2021, so almost 2 years. The larger one is starting to turn more pink, but it's taking a while. I'm happy to be patient. They're so much more outgoing than wild caught and they eat anything. I have a pair in a 90 and they don't fight.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back