Pinpoint salinity monitor

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that has it, do you leave the probe submerged in the water all the time and leave it constantly on? I just want something that tells me easily what my salinity is.

does the 9v battery will last awhile or I need to spend that $12 on a power adapter.

tell me how you use it or is it even worth the money? I am getting a used one btw.

OlafsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 3 of them since the early 2000s, nothing better IMHO. No need to leave it on 24/7. If it is submerged (already to water temp) just switch it on, swish it in a circle to remove any bubbles and wait a few seconds when you want to check the reading. If it is not already in the water you want to wait a minute or so for it become the same temp as your water and correct the measurement for your water temperature. I have a fancy Milwaukee refractometer, and a TM hydrometer, Pinpoints are still my go to for decades. Dont measure right in front of a pump output where you get bubbles and particulates, same with when mixing salt and you are all set.

Batteries last me at least 6 months and Id say i take reading at least every other day on one of my tanks or another.
I cant speak for the adapter, but in the past word was you risked electrical interference using an adapter, I honestly can't recall why, but it was in some old RC threads.

Back