• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BPCGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, first time poster! I learned a lot lurking here and hope to contribute more.

A week ago I told the lfs staff to bag me a Carpenter’s Flasher Wrasse. It wasn’t until I got home that I realized he had bagged a Pintail Fairy Wrasse instead.

i have a BioCube32 mixed reef. I knew the Carpenter’s wrasse was pushing it the tank size limit But I wanted to try. I read that Pintail Wrasse get 2 inches longer than Carpenter’s and require 70-90 gallon setups! Any advice on what to do? Do I need to rehome the Pintail immediately? Or can I keep him and see how large he gets (He is 3 inches terminal phase)? How long will he get? Any indicators of stress I should look out for? If the time comes, any advice on how to catch a wrasse?,

Tank mates are a pair ocellaris clowns, a royal gramma, and a yellow watchman goby. I haven’t seen much aggression, just a little chasing of the royal gramma. The fish seems happy, is eating well, has set up his cave, and swims in Patterns through the rock work. Water chemistry seems right down the middle, although I just started running NO3 export blocks and the refugium Cheato has been growing quickly.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Would a 30 gallon long be enough?
Honestly, for the little extra cost- go with a minimum 40 Breeder or better yet- a 55 gallon. You'll be glad you did

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, for the little extra cost- go with a minimum 40 Breeder or better yet- a 55 gallon. You'll be glad you did
dang. I just picked up a good sized one from my LFS. They had it at $45 so I took it. Is it a ‘’must rehome?”

Attachments

• 2FE42328-2106-45BC-A60D-7E951B49678F.jpeg
    2FE42328-2106-45BC-A60D-7E951B49678F.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 74

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
dang. I just picked up a good sized one from my LFS. They had it at $45 so I took it. Is it a ‘’must rehome?”
You have the fish now. Might as well try it, but many have indicated reasons not to.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problem with wrasses in small tanks is that they're pretty darty and much more likely to up and crash into the tank glass or something else and then succumb to a spinal cord injury

i also found QTing them in a 29g tall tank that they just don't like to be in there. i suppose this could be the more sterile environment, but they just hide and don't swim around much and generally behave poorly. i had an orangeback fairy wrasse that behaved like a goby, he'd just sit under a rock and have his head poked out and not really swim around unless i put food in there

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problem with wrasses in small tanks is that they're pretty darty and much more likely to up and crash into the tank glass or something else and then succumb to a spinal cord injury

i also found QTing them in a 29g tall tank that they just don't like to be in there. i suppose this could be the more sterile environment, but they just hide and don't swim around much and generally behave poorly. i had an orangeback fairy wrasse that behaved like a goby, he'd just sit under a rock and have his head poked out and not really swim around unless i put food in there
Hmm. I currently have a small ornate leopard wrasse in the tank, and the two have been acting the same. If I see any of the behavior you mentioned above I will rehome him. I’ve already done the research.

Dreamin_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in a 5ft reefer 450 and he is swimming (and sometimes darting) the length of the tank all day...

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have the fish now. Might as well try it, but many have indicated reasons not to.
I disagree - already purchased doesn't grant a license to try.
If I see any stressful behavior I’ll rehome him.
And what is that exactly? If you haven't kept a lot a Cirrhilabrus to have the experience to know normal behaviors, this will be quite nebulous.

Exactly. Cramped spaces gives way to abnormal behaviors.
I have one in a 5ft reefer 450 and he is swimming (and sometimes darting) the length of the tank all day...
+1 to this sentiment - they'll use a lot of space if they have it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

And what is that exactly? If you haven't kept a lot a Cirrhilabrus to have the experience to know normal behaviors, this will be quite nebulous.

Store will likely not take it back, at least by me they don’t

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Interestingly, I have a pintail and a lineatus in a 6ft tank. Most of the time they hop around a 2ft area for a while, then move to next. Don't usually see them dashing left to right (my niger trigger do that all day long nonstop). My flow is pretty strong, the fairy wrasses seem to most enjoy riding against the flow and just chill in place. The timor wrasse is very exploratory on the contrast, constantly swimming in and out of rock looking for pods.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You're right- I don't have any experience with fairy wrasses. I brought the fish back yesterday!

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Store will likely not take it back, at least by me they don’t
Also, there is almost no way that a store would give up a free Pintail Wrasse. At least not my LFS which sells Algae Blennies for $45. (Im trying to say that overprice all livestock and people still buy them there)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back