Pintail in QT looking good after 30+ days

Bill Howard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a little advise. I have a pintail that's been in QT for about 39 days now. It went through 2 rounds of prazipro the first 10 days and the rest of the time has been just observation. I'm a little leary of putting him through copper because I hear wrasse's can be senseitive to copper. It has not shown any signs of disease, is eating and swimming normally. I'm Just wondering if the experts here think it would be safe to add it to my display tank, or if I should treat with copper. I have Copper Power on hand if needed.

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run all my Cirrhilabrus sp. through 28 days copper at therapeutic levels, and have for most of 15 years. Never had one die that I'd attribute to copper sensitivity, but people claim they are sensitive. Just my experience.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re going to get mixed answers of go ahead and treat with copper to be safe and don’t treat if you don’t see signs of disease, etc.

I no longer prophylactically treat my wrasses with copper. I just observe them for 6 weeks or so. I believe gut microbiota are too important and if you’re not QT’ing every coral and invert you could be subjecting your wrasse to a poison unnecessarily anyway, but that’s just my 2 cents. Good luck with your pintail, they’re great wrasses!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back